Winter cover

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
I live in Nebraska and it tends to get pretty cold in the winter. I have been looking at these front end winter covers. Does anyone else on this forum use one? I am just curious as to if they really work or not and if there are any negatives about them?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They work well if yer Out'n About in the Coold weather every day, all day.. if it's just a short trip daily driver (like to work and back).. Yer call ?

If you think you need one, get one that is adjustable.. so you can get the right amount of air flow.. to keep the engine temps where they need to be... and one that installs in a fashion that doesn't chaff the grill pieces & parts ?

Maybe some of the.. "Frozen North" guyz will chime in.. with some Brands ????

Joe

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used pieces of cardboard behind the grille painted black or some of these plastic corrugated political signs to partially block some of the air flow to help with the warmup I ve used them for years on the rigs in the winter to accomplish the same purpose. Use one piece to block half of the air flow or the whole amount with a hole in it or a couple of pieces and remove if no enough air flow.

You can playwith it this way and buy something permanent if you see that it works for you.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Fia winter front. Has that quilted look and comes with a bug screen too. Never had a problem with overheating even when it warmed up and I forgot to open the vents on it. Truck does warm up faster with it on and when busting drifts it keeps snow out of radiator and air intake.

Veece

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have the Ford winter front cover, like the stock option. It works fairly well, in the way of attachment. It has felt covered metal tabs that can be bent slightly to make it tighter, as well as 6 adjustable straps. Up in the Fargo/Moorhead area, the snow really blows and will pack into the stock air filter, making the truck run poorly, make weird noises and ruin that paper filter. First hand experience!

Bigboytoys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm from 1/2 way up Manitoba Canada and we use the factory Ford one but ya gata compare the temps out side to what your doing. Even in -30 you can get these trucks on the warm side when towing cause the stock gauges are out to lunch. They don't go past center till about 240!!, you've been warned.

It is always a trade off between getting the truck to warm up quickly and the intercooler and the trany cooler doing the best job it can because with a full front on it can dramatically increase the air charge temp.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to skip it.......It get cold, but not that cold.

Thanks again!! :hail

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64