Wiring Fault on Trailer --no trailer attached

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm getting this warning with a chime on the info center every time I press on the brake pedal. I do not have a trailer attached. Any ideas what is causing this?

Black06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm getting this warning with a chime on the info center every time I press on the brake pedal. I do not have a trailer attached. Any ideas what is causing this?

Something I found....

Message center displaying "Wiring Fault On Trailer":
This may occur due to water intrusion/corrosion in the trailer connector socket or the connector behind the socket. If corrosion is present, replace the socket and harness and lube with silicone dielectric grease. If there are no signs of water, perform normal diagnosis. Broadcast Message 7052, 7108.

ididntdoit5150

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ya i got the same message after doing a little water fording but went away after it dried off.

DutyCalls08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Try spraying a little bit of WD-40 into the connector as it displaces water and prevents corrosion. That's an old trick used for water inside of a distributor cap. If that helps, great...if not then I guess it's the dealers problem.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
do you have a second plug in the bed for the fiver?
if so, how long has it been installed?
i would check the splice in the factory wiring if that's how it was wired. the ford system is very sensitive to stray voltage and ground faults
if the splice was done with scotch locks or wire nuts, i would vebture to say thats the problem, the correct splice needs to be soldered connections and shrink wrap to prevent corrosion of the connection
hope it helps

40 foot inferno WOW thats a big un, I recently looked at one because of the huge garage and cargo weight capacity ;tu

hntnv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I got this same message one time, after putting the boat in the water. Had to back in a little to far to get the boat off. Took it home and blew the plug out with compressed air and it hasn't done it since. What I see is while pulling my flatbed (has trailer brakes) I get the trailer disconnected message. It seems to come and go as it pleases. I assume it is a ground issue. Maybe I'll fix it later.

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the same prob it comes and goes either trailer disconnected or wiring fault is this a dealer fix ?

hntnv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
After doing a little work on the flatbed trailer I found a grounding problem with the trailer brakes. I repaired the grounding problem and have not had a problem since. I sure mine was in the trailer not the truck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58