Wiring new alternator

FordPSD6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just installed a new 200 amp alternator on my PSD 6.0. Should I upgrade the cables from the alternator to the battery? Must it go through a voltage regulator or can I run a cable directly from the alternator to the Positive on both batteries? What about fusing the cables?
Thanks

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you're trying to do with it. I would probably up the wire size if you're going to be pulling or attempting to pull 200a for more than a few seconds. Your alternator (being aftermarket I assume) should have it's own regulator, and typically that device just looks at the voltage and decides where to set the field to maintain 13.4 volts. It may also depending on the model, have an internal regulator, so you don't have to mess with it.

Fusing the cables probably isn't needed, but if you do, I'd go with some form of blown fuse indication, so you don't pop a fuse and then go dead over time because you didn't know. Personally, I would skip the fuse.

What's your application?

FordPSD6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a CB radio with a 1500 watt amplifier. The amplifier can draw 100+ amps when using the radio. With nothing running other than the engine and headlights the radio/amp make the headlights dim when you key the mic.. This can result in damage to the stock alternator and I guess burn out the rectifier. In fact 2 batteries are pretty much needed with these radio systems and some people recommend a 4 battery setup instead of the 2.
I appreciate your help!!

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 1500W is 125A... I don't think you'd hurt the factory alternator though... you're not keying up for ten minutes at a time, so most of your capacity is coming from your batteries, and the alternator is just putting it back in. Starting the truck takes more than 125a if you consider the glow plugs and the starter combined.

But since you already have it, no big deal. I would fuse the line to the linear amp, though.

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a CB radio with a 1500 watt amplifier. The amplifier can draw 100+ amps when using the radio. With nothing running other than the engine and headlights the radio/amp make the headlights dim when you key the mic.. This can result in damage to the stock alternator and I guess burn out the rectifier. In fact 2 batteries are pretty much needed with these radio systems and some people recommend a 4 battery setup instead of the 2.
I appreciate your help!!

I bet the local hams in your area can help you. It just won't be with your PSD. In fact, it's possible you won't have a problem with your PSD anymore once you get done with the FCC fines.

FordPSD6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Kleetus what causes the lights to dim? Is it the lack of batteries or the lack of the alternator trying to keep up. Would extra batteries help it?
Thanks

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dimming is voltage drop due to the current draw. You could throw more batteries at it, but if it's not excessive, I probably wouldn't worry about it. The AMP I'm certain has a switching power supply in it, so as the voltage drops some, it will compensate to keep the power output fairly constant. Depending on how long you're keyed up, the alternator may not have a chance to react anyway. At an idle, I don't care if you have a 400a alt... there's not enough engine speed t make any appreciable power. Running down the road at 1500-2000 rpm, I'd bet that factory can hold it, or at least very close, if you're on for a few seconds.

But yeah, you might want to keep moving because if the FCC finds you... you're gonna be hurting. Although anymore I don't know if anybody even cares about HAM, shortwave, FRS and CB channels.

FordPSD6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I bet the local hams in your area can help you. It just won't be with your PSD. In fact, it's possible you won't have a problem with your PSD anymore once you get done with the FCC fines.

The Hams in the area are the ones that got me into 11 meter. They said 11 meter has a better group of people and less attitudes.

FordPSD6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The dimming is voltage drop due to the current draw. You could throw more batteries at it, but if it's not excessive, I probably wouldn't worry about it. The AMP I'm certain has a switching power supply in it, so as the voltage drops some, it will compensate to keep the power output fairly constant. Depending on how long you're keyed up, the alternator may not have a chance to react anyway. At an idle, I don't care if you have a 400a alt... there's not enough engine speed t make any appreciable power. Running down the road at 1500-2000 rpm, I'd bet that factory can hold it, or at least very close, if you're on for a few seconds.

But yeah, you might want to keep moving because if the FCC finds you... you're gonna be hurting. Although anymore I don't know if anybody even cares about HAM, shortwave, FRS and CB channels.

Thanks Kleetus.

And by the way last year I bought my ARRL books to study for the General and Tech licenses and all the local Hams told me to go 11 meter and they were changing over!! 11 meter is huge in NJ.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58