WIX Fuel Filters... Different Than OEM - Yes They Are!!!

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to upset any NAPA or WIX owners or loyal customers, but I have researched and now feel safe to post that WIX fuel filters for the 6.0L PSD motor are not the same quality and spec as OEM or RACOR made (Racor makes Motorcraft fuel and oil filters).

Here is the difference and my observation:

What is missing from the WIX brand fuel filter is the white/media/membrane around the larger HFCM filter. Motorcraft and Racor has it and WIX does not and the lower HFCM has only pleats. It has been said and shown on internet that the white membrane on the OEM filter helps in water seperation!!! Wonder if the use of non EOM spec fuel filters are the cuase for performance and water problems... seems resonable to me????

As well, Ford uses the same fuel filters for all model years with the 6.0L motor and WIX does not. It is one part number for 2003 - 2004 and aonther for 2005 - 2006. Wonder what spec they made their filters to????

Now here are the links and proof...

WIX website showing paper pleated filters (no white membrane on large filter) - click on fuel filter and new window will open...

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterloo...e=83&TempModel=&TempEngine=8724&TempYear=2003
-----------------------------------

Here is a link to a retailer of RACOR filters (OEM manufacture):

http://www.southeastpowersystems.com/index.cfm?CategoryID=29&CategoryName=Fuel and Oil Filters

Note what it says about the white membrane media on the larger filter and the fact that it is there and not on the WIX filter!!! Plus it will fit all model years of 6.0L motors where as the WIX will not!!!
--------------------------------------------

Now to save money, we can all shop at our local International truck dealer and really save. Here is a link to one in Michigan and look at their pricing.... $15.47/kit (2 filters) and RACOR brand at that!!!!! What a savings over Ford or any other site I have researched!!!!!

http://www.tricotruck.com/
(Click on "parts" then "hot deals" and scroll down to the fuel filters for the 6.0L)
---------------------------------------------

Now, with that said, why would anyone not use Motorcraft or RACOR fuel filters in their $40,000+ truck!!!!

I also only use Motorcraft oil filters as I can buy them at my local auto parts store for $19.99 and I just buy 1 at a time every 5,000 miles. No need to by "off-brand" filters and buy in multiples... but that is another thread.

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
January 16, 2006

This bulletin is to inform you of an application error in both the 2005 & 2006 NAPA Application Catalogs.

YEAR APPLICATIONS SERVICE FUEL

Catalog Reads:
2005/2006 Ford F Series w/V8 6.0 L Diesel Engine 3599

Correction: 2005/2006 Ford F Series w/V8 6.0L Diesel Engine N/A
NO Replacement

We DO NOT currently have a replacement part number for these applications. DO NOT FORCE the 3599 into the fuel filter housing, it could damage the fuel release valve.

A new replacement part number is scheduled for release as soon as possible.

A host of changes have been made to the 6.0 litre diesel engine since its release in 2003. A new housing cap was one of the changes made in 2005. The new caps have support ridges which will not allow our 3599 to fit. Pictures of the old and new caps are below.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you or your customers.

Sincerely,

Barry L. Faile
Product Planning Manager

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

If you go to Wix's site or Filter 1's you can see that the filter #3599 is not for '05 or '06 trucks...they do show a new filter which is # 33899, but as stated on the site..."is not available".

Fuel Filter 33599 2003-04
Fuel Filter 338991 2005-06

And from FleetFilter:
IMPORTANT NOTICE FROM WIX:

January 24: Wix announced that the 33599 Fuel Filter for the Ford 6.0 diesel may not fit properly in the fuel canister in the 2005 and 2006 models. Ford made a minor change in their filter housing cap that makes the fit of the 33599 difficult.

DO NOT FORCE A 33599 INTO THE CANISTER; damage of the fuel release valve could result.

At this time, Wix has listed on their website that the replacement filter is a 33899.

This information came from FleetFilter.com

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.... I may have to correct myself if WIX filters have changed or have modified their filters....

The WIX website does not show the white membrane, but the NAPA website does? I did call my local NAPA dealer and their filter ($83.00+) does have it, but as posted earlier, there are two part numbers depending on your model year.

If I stand corrected (not sure yet) on the white membrame issue, how come Ford (RACOR) has 1 filter for all 6.0L model years and WIX/NAPA shows 2 filter part numbers (2003 - 2004) and (2005 - 2006). Even if Ford did change the cap to the HFCM filter housing, what is WIX doing that their "will fit" filters are not useable for all model years???? Has to make you wonder?

Does anyone know if their diesel supplement has any specs or "equivalant numbers" in it? My 2003 shows none for fuel or oil filters and actually "bolds" the phrase... "Use Motorcraft only" for the oil filters (as of 2003 at least).

I know Fram and others have the same "Made in Germany" and patent numbers as they are made by RACOR... but what about WIX or other "will fit" filters?

Seems that with the "issues" surrounding the 6.0L motor and the need for clean oil and fuel... due to all the sensors on this motor... quality filters that fit and are made correct (with out second guessing yourself) is the way to go. If I can buy RACOR fuel filters for less than $20.00/kit and Motorcraft oil filters at my local auto parts store for $19.99.... I will use Motorcraft/RACOR and sleep well!!!

Good luck to those that choose not to and as we live in a free country... "we are free to do as we wish with out money." Not trying to put down any brand or anyone... just having the discussion.

Jeff

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WARNING - URGENT - UPDATED INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted some bad info regarding the fuel filter part number from International.

Even though Ford buys the VT365 motor/block from Int'l, the fuel filter set-up for our motors is from the VT275 (4.5L) motor. Below is the correct part numbers.

Racor #: 32442C93
Int'l #: 1847170C92
Cost: $27.79/Kit
(This is the filter we need for our 6.0L motors even though Int'l uses it on their 4.5L motor)

When I went to my local Int'l dealer, the filter they show for the 6.0L is different than the one Ford uses on the 6.0L... so do not make the mistake I made. This is also why when we say kit, they wonder... what kit?

If you go to the www.tricotruck.com website you will see that what is pictured (what we need), is actually the 4.5L/VT275 filter.

Still cheaper than at the dealer and still Racor quality!!!

Sorry for any extra work or confusion I may have caused.

Jeff

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some sites that have info on the Aqua Bloc filter media found in or on RACOR fuel filters (OEM manufcature to Ford).

It seems that RACOR is the undisputed leader in fuel filtration so why not use a RACOR filter either purchased from Ford, International or another retailer?

http://www.dieselpage.com/art1021ra.htm

http://www.dieselpage.com/art0500rf.htm
------------------------------------------

For me it is RACOR only... no WIX or "will fit" fuel filters for my $40,000+ truck!!! At $27.79/kit at International dealer there is no excuse not use RACOR fuel filters. (IMO)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58