wont move!!! help...tranny???

rippinbmwm3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i parked my truck last night and the next morning i put it in gear and it would not move. no reverse no drive, 1st, 2nd, nothing. i even tried 4 wheel drive. it is an auto 99 f250 4x4. there arent any blown fuses, i tried pluging my OBD 2 code reader into it and the truck didnt power the code reader. i know the reader works because i tried it on my car. could it be my PCM or torque converter, or do i need a tranny rebuild. thanks in advanced.

txrdnek

2000 F-250 7.3L 4WD
Reaction score
I know this may sound stupid but did you check your fluid? If it gets real low it will act like it is in neutral in all the gears.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
If you have no power to your diagnostic port, you may have a blown fuse. If it is a blown fuse it may be related to the problem with the tranny not working.

A somewhat common problem is the heater element in the fuel filter bowl shorting out. When that happens, it blows a fuse which I believe removes power to the PCM and prevents the engine from starting.

I know this isn't a solution for you, but it may be a path to a fix.:dunno

rippinbmwm3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i checked my fuses, they are all good, my fluid level was good and didnt smell burnt. and the truck will start it just wont engage into any gear. thanks again for the advise.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
i checked my fuses, they are all good, my fluid level was good and didnt smell burnt. and the truck will start it just wont engage into any gear. thanks again for the advise.

Even though it is obviously secondary to your truck not moving, the question remains, why are you not getting any power to your OBD connector.:dunno

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
Are you sure your OBD reader works on your truck. I know that you have to have a specific one, because the ones that the auto stores use don't work on these trucks ( atleast not 94-97 PSDs). Not sure, may be PCM though. Never heard of this problem. How many miles are on the truck, and have you ever had the tranny rebuilt?? Also, are you the only owner, or did you buy it used??

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The definition of "won't work" needs to be clarified a bit.

In order for a diagnostic scanner to "work" fully with our trucks, it needs to be able of processing enhanced Ford data.

There are particular data elements that are common to all OBDII scanners, speed, rpm, etc.

Some things are part of the enhanced Ford group, injector pulse width, IPR duty cycle, etc.

I tried a Actron that wouldn't do jack squat other than speed, rpm and a VERY few others. But it did "operate" within its limits. Did it work? Depends on your definition of "work".

But the bottom line is, it did function when plugged into the OBDII port.

rippinbmwm3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Are you sure your OBD reader works on your truck. I know that you have to have a specific one, because the ones that the auto stores use don't work on these trucks ( atleast not 94-97 PSDs). Not sure, may be PCM though. Never heard of this problem. How many miles are on the truck, and have you ever had the tranny rebuilt?? Also, are you the only owner, or did you buy it used??

from these posts it sounds like my scanner might not work on my truck i was useing a actron code reader. there are 170k miles on it and i just bought it about 6 months ago. dont know if the tranny has been rebuilt or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14