won't start, 30 amp fuse blows

lpuddlejumper

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
have an early 99, 7.3 lit powerstroke, that won't start, and blows the 30 amp fuse in slot 29. every time i turn the key on, after about 3 seconds, the fuse blows. the engine runs when using starting fluid, but dies as soon as the fluid runs out. ran a ohm meter across the glow plug relay, and got nothing w/the key on:, but big wires disconnected. is this the sign the relay is bad???:dunno

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Shorted fuel heater is causing the fuse to blow. Same fuse runs the engine electronics so when it blows it won't start or run. Disconnect the fuel heater by pulling the plug on the side of the fuel bowl. This will make the fuse quit blowing and the engine will once again come to life. Would be a good idea to change out the fuel heater element when you get a chance.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
As already said, the 30 amp is blowing due to a shorted fuel heater and it does sound like your GPR is bad. If you are going to use ether you MUST disable the glow plug system or you run the risk of a large mishap. Hook up the wires on the big terminals again and take a heavy screwdriver and jump across the big terms and see if she starts better.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
The GPR will not be energized with the 30amp fuse blown. You will probably find that once you disconnect the heater and replace the fuse that the relay works fine.

lpuddlejumper

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, i unplugged the heater,and it's running ever since!! making up mind on international harvester version of heater. it was 18 degrees last night, and it started this morning w/oa heater

everette summey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Shorted fuel heater is causing the fuse to blow. Same fuse runs the engine electronics so when it blows it won't start or run. Disconnect the fuel heater by pulling the plug on the side of the fuel bowl. This will make the fuse quit blowing and the engine will once again come to life. Would be a good idea to change out the fuel heater element when you get a chance.

everette summey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
mine is 99 7.3 SUPER DUTY LARIAT. IT BLOWS #30 30 AMP UNDER DASH AS WELL. I UNPLUGED HEATER AND IT STILL WOULDN"T START. THE WTS LIGHT ISN"T OWN. BUT AFTER A COUPLE HOURS COOL DOWN I REPLACE THE FUSE AND IT STARTS RIGHT UP. ANY IDEAS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58