won't start, showing code p0684

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
hey guys,

I need some help here. truck has been running fine lately and today I drove it to church and then back home with no problems. Get in to go fishin and she wont turn over. no cranking at all. Code reader reads P0684 which is: Glow plug control module to PCM communication circuit range/performance. Any ideas what this could be? This is my daily driver and need this thing back up and running!! any help is appreciated.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
ok. tried starting it in nuetral. Also, my batteries(die hard platinums) are only about 3 months old. all the connections are still pretty clean. I also have a brand new motorcraft starter that was replaced the same time as the batteries. I still need to check for voltage at the starter though. Checked all my fuses under the dash. all good there. connection to the back of the my dp tuner switch is plugged in(had that happen once).

is there a fuse for the fuel bowl? is so, where?

I cleared the code and it didnt reappear after powercylcling the code reader and trying to crank the truck.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2K the fuel bowl heater fuse was #23. If it's the same on yer 02.. if it blows again.. disconnect the heater element at/near the fuel bowl..

Hope it starts for ya then.

Joe

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Yeah its different Joe. Fuse #23 on mine is the engine control fuse. Looking through the list, mine dosent even identify anything with the fuel bowl. But all my fuses look fine. Gonna try removing the chip and see what that does.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing I can say now is: Scan or get it Scanned ?

Joe

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Just figured it out Joe. Crawled under it to check the voltages at the starter and found the ignition wire hanging. Guess replacing all those starter did a number in the connector. Now I just need to reterminate and that should do it. Thanks for the help. Im gonna need it even more soon. Got orders to Germany and the trucks going with me!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just figured it out Joe. Crawled under it to check the voltages at the starter and found the ignition wire hanging. Guess replacing all those starter did a number in the connector. Now I just need to reterminate and that should do it. Thanks for the help. Im gonna need it even more soon. Got orders to Germany and the trucks going with me!!

;tu Glad you got,r figured out Clint.

Off Topic but........

Germany huh... Hmmmmmm..

We may be planning a trip to Germany in the next year or so.

With the recognition this year of D-Day and all.. I've been doing a little more research on my (bio) Dad.. found the actual site where he was KIA in 45.. and that a Memorial Plaque had been dedicated to him and the 4 men KIA with him at the site... by the citizens of Waldfeucht, Gr, and several WWII related Forces & Governments.

Might halfta be taking a MAC Flight over there..:dunno

Been quite a journey shedding light on alota shadows... about my Dad.. If ya know what I'm say'n.

Joe

Last edited:

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Big Joe,

Thanks for the help. And that would be great to meet up if you come to Germany. I will have to keep that site in mind and think it would be awesome to see it myself. That's not that far from Spangdahlem AB either. If ,for some reason, you dont end up making it over there, I would be glad to find it and take some pics for you. It would be an honor.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;tu Thanks Clint.. as things progress I'll shoot you a PM or two... one way or the other ?

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58