won't start

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm needing this thread so soon after the 'ran out of diesel deal' a little while ago. Anyways, went to pick up some fencing at a guys house this morning. Truck started fine, ran fine, etc. Started 3 times before the issue arose. Was all finished loading fencing and went to start. It was starting normally but my boot was wet and slipped off of the clutch pedal. Naturally, ignition/starting was halted. Went to start again and nothing. The batteries all of a sudden were very weak. I have checked and swapped around some/all the relays and fuses. I put a new fender mounted starter relay in it. Power was getting down to the starter but the solenoid wasn't kicking in. Pulled the starter off and tried to get it to spin with jumper cables and it wouldn't turn over at all. Took it to Advance and they put it on the test stand and they couldn't get it to turn over either. Went to AutoZone and the same thing. No one had a starter (Nippo one not a Motocraft). Finally found one for $200. Installed it. Took my charger/starter and let it charge for a little bit. It now turns over but refuses to start. It is in this guys backyard and he is clearing Govt quarters in the AM so I need to get this thing out of there ASAP. Please recommend away......Thanks in advance, Odie.

Oh, new CPS from FOMOCO 3 months ago.

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It just started. I don't what the deal was but I'm starting to suspect too low/bad battery/batteries. I had my charger/starter on it for a while and it just started up normally. I would still like to hear anybody's thought/ideas though. Thanks, Odie.

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also suspect bad batteries.....especially since it started after leaving them on the charger for awhile. Remember to replace both at the same time.

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after driving it for 1.5 hours I believe something bad electrically happened today. My speedo started out at 80 MPH and has slowly kept going clockwise and is now at about -25 MPH below the peg. It needs to go all the way counter clockwise back to zero. It doesn't move now. My blinkers and emergency flashers do not work. Manually the blinkers will but not by themselves. I have swapped out 3 different flasher relays. A/C, radio, blower, lights, horn all work fine. I need to recheck all the fuses again though. After finally getting it home I let it sit for about five minutes. Tried starting it and it won't start. It turns over exceptionally well though. The batteries definitely have a charge. I'm at a loss. I guess I'll cross post this over to a 7.3 Engine thread so I can clear out of here since it is home and all and not really an emergency anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated still.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Well, after driving it for 1.5 hours I believe something bad electrically happened today. My speedo started out at 80 MPH and has slowly kept going clockwise and is now at about -25 MPH below the peg. It needs to go all the way counter clockwise back to zero. It doesn't move now. My blinkers and emergency flashers do not work. Manually the blinkers will but not by themselves. I have swapped out 3 different flasher relays. A/C, radio, blower, lights, horn all work fine. I need to recheck all the fuses again though. After finally getting it home I let it sit for about five minutes. Tried starting it and it won't start. It turns over exceptionally well though. The batteries definitely have a charge. I'm at a loss. I guess I'll cross post this over to a 7.3 Engine thread so I can clear out of here since it is home and all and not really an emergency anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated still.

These are common problems resulting from a bad batteries or loose/corroded terminals.

Replace the bats and/or clean the connections and you will be good to go.

Just because it is spinning the engine over does not mean the bats are good. Go get them load tested at the auto parts store. The PCM must have the correct voltage or its not going to start.

Tbar

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are common problems resulting from a bad batteries or loose/corroded terminals.

Replace the bats and/or clean the connections and you will be good to go.

Just because it is spinning the engine over does not mean the bats are good. Go get them load tested at the auto parts store. The PCM must have the correct voltage or its not going to start.

Tbar

X2 :hail

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't have time to mess with it today. I poured some Coke over the connections this morning. I'm cleaning all the connections tonight when I get home from work. Load testing both batteries and trickle charging for awhile to see what kind of shape they are in. If they test out bad or weak I'm pulling both and replacing with Optimas. I appreciate everyone's help. I hope the batteries were the problem.

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a follow up- I load tested both batteries after I charged them. One would get to 60% and the other to only 50%. The were Duralast Golds. Took them to AutoZone and after warranty computations I ended up paying $13.20 for 2 new batteries. The batteries were at 80% charge so I trickled charged them on my charger/starter until they were both 100%. Cleaned all my connections and installed them. It has never started faster since I've owned it. I still find it hard to believe how critical the PCM voltage is when the batteries will still crank the engine over. Tested my alternator once I got it going. 14.6 volts output. Everything works as advertised except my speedo. It is stuck under the peg and won't move on it's own. If I try the good ol' Army fix for it (whacking the dash) it jumps a little but won't return to where it should be. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks to everyone that responded. Your help was great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58