Worn hinge pins

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any luck changing out just the pins or is that even an option? My driver's door has been drooping and it seems to be due to some slack in the hinge pins. Swapping out all new hinges looks like a big PIA having to remove the dash and such.

Has anyone tried putting in some shims to level the door up instead of replacing the worn pins? I've been thinking of slipping in some washers to shim it back up plum.

johnson1781

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any luck changing out just the pins or is that even an option? My driver's door has been drooping and it seems to be due to some slack in the hinge pins. Swapping out all new hinges looks like a big PIA having to remove the dash and such.

Has anyone tried putting in some shims to level the door up instead of replacing the worn pins? I've been thinking of slipping in some washers to shim it back up plum.

I have put pins in my door but the holes were wore so I had to find a lager size then ream the holes a little to make them fit.Worked good for me.A lot cheaper than new hinges too.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HELP! Part number 38410 (Pin and Bushing Kit ... need 2 per door). Will also work on rear crewcab doors after slightly reaming the hinge holes. Cheers!

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HELP! Part number 38410 (Pin and Bushing Kit ... need 2 per door). Will also work on rear crewcab doors after slightly reaming the hinge holes. Cheers!

Thanks for the part number. So I just drill out the old ones and drop those in I'm guessin? Any special tools needed, etc??

Just trying to get it all lined out before I take the door off. Hate to have to run around town without a door looking for a tool or something!

Thanks.

Last edited:

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't take the door off! Do one hinge pin at a time and support the bottom of the door with a pad and floor jack. You just have to cut the original pin and remove it then drive the bushings out (doesn't take much), the install the new bushings and pin. Then do the other pin on that door the same way. Cheers!

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You make it sound so simple!! I'll have to give it a try, the wind noise from the gap in my door is getting to me!!

Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can adjust the gap by moving the door "in" a little bit, like 1/8 inch, to get rid of the wind noise. Loosen the hinge and move it in a little. The hinge is slotted.

Dave

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can adjust the gap by moving the door "in" a little bit, like 1/8 inch, to get rid of the wind noise. Loosen the hinge and move it in a little. The hinge is slotted.

Dave

Yea I knew they were slotted but I've got more than 1/8 inch! I can see daylight if that tells you anything. I think replacing the pins will fix it because I can lift the door and see the slack in the pin area and I hate to start moving hinges just as a temporary fix.

Thanks for all ya'll help, I've learned a lot from this forum.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I did not mean that the adjustments would take care of the worn pins. Fix the pins first and then adjust if needed.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58