wrapping up pipes and turbo

Roadster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
While I was surfing around researching pipes and pricing I came across a thread in another forum where it seemed to be recommended to wrap the up pipes and turbo with header wrap with the idea it would aid substantially in turbo spooling and reducing greatly turbo lag. I haven't seen much of this info on this forum so just throwing it out there to see who may have done this and what kind of results it yielded. is it worth the $100 for header wrap and the time to do it? BTW I have ordered the BG up pipe kit for the 99-03 7.3 for reference.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
The best thing you can do for faster turbo spooling is a straight through muffler and a 4" exhaust pipe. Lowers exhaust temps as well.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could help some. It can make the pipes rust faster though.
Fixing leaks would help more. Along with a tune.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about getting them ceramic coated? The headers on my last Cobra were coated and it made a noticeable difference in under hood temps.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Roadster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The best thing you can do for faster turbo spooling is a straight through muffler and a 4" exhaust pipe. Lowers exhaust temps as well.

The truck has 4" from turbo outlet to the tailpipe, no muffler.

Roadster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It could help some. It can make the pipes rust faster though.
Fixing leaks would help more. Along with a tune.

dealing with the leaks with replacement bellowed pipes, a tune may be down the road though

Roadster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What about getting them ceramic coated? The headers on my last Cobra were coated and it made a noticeable difference in under hood temps.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

ceramic coated is a bit out of my budget, thought wrapping them may be a reasonable (affordable) substitute.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would clean them, then use a high heat paint, bake them, wrap them, then I think there's a sealer you can get for the wrap.
But the Dorman bellowed up pipes are cheap enough, if you have to replace them every 5 years, not a big deal. Lol

powerstoked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I wrote in an earlier response on a post about replacing pedestal o-rings. I had said that I wrapped my new replacement bellowed up pipes, downtube and after cooler boost tube. This is to keep the pipes hot to keep exhaust gas moving fast. I wrapped the boost tube to keep engine heat at bay. Bellowed pipes are stainless steel and on the other two I sprayed them with high heat paint before wrapping them. I really don't believe they will rust away in my lifetime.

tabdiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wrapping your exhaust pipes will not aid in spooling or help in turbo lag whatsoever. If you still want to do this, go to the Wish or Geek app and get all you need for 10 or 20 bucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr