WTF is w/ my truck. . .?

Deviant Diesel

Sooting 1 jerk @ a time!
Reaction score
So every now and then when I'm driving down the road and come to a stop or to a slow speed where the truck is just idling, I start getting this greyish white smoke bellowing from the exhaust. Doesn't happen all the time and it only does it for a little bit, no longer than a minute, unless I slide it into neutral or park, taking the load off the motor, then it will stop sooner. It kinda smells like burning oil and I've noticed that when it's doing this the exhaust is hotter, don't have an EGT gauge so I can't be for sure, but I can see the heat signature from my 5 inch exhaust when I usually can't.
The other problem is I'm sure my tranny is about to crap out, I punched it the other day while cruising about 15-20 mph, it downshifted to 1st jumped to about 3000 and nothing happened, it just sat there. Then every now and then during shifts it will slip for about an extra 500 rpms before finding its next gear. What the hell. . .:rant

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
So every now and then when I'm driving down the road and come to a stop or to a slow speed where the truck is just idling, I start getting this greyish white smoke bellowing from the exhaust. Doesn't happen all the time and it only does it for a little bit, no longer than a minute, unless I slide it into neutral or park, taking the load off the motor, then it will stop sooner.

My parents have an 04' F250 "the one in the sig."...they have had this happen maybe 5 or 6 times....just as you have described...only happens every now and then, and it is over in a minute or two....always happens at low speeds or when completely stopped at idle....don't know what the problem is...the truck always runs great afterwards...its just weird....so im interested to see if anybody has heard of this and if there is a solution.

solrpwrd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i confess that i am ignorant about your tech issues but i have to say.....
THAT is just about the best/funniest avatar i've seen. THNX FOR THAT!

BlackBioBurner

Full Size Newbie
Reaction score
Seems all too common

So every now and then when I'm driving down the road and come to a stop or to a slow speed where the truck is just idling, I start getting this greyish white smoke bellowing from the exhaust. Doesn't happen all the time and it only does it for a little bit, no longer than a minute, unless I slide it into neutral or park, taking the load off the motor, then it will stop sooner. It kinda smells like burning oil and I've noticed that when it's doing this the exhaust is hotter, don't have an EGT gauge so I can't be for sure, but I can see the heat signature from my 5 inch exhaust when I usually can't.

My truck had similar symptoms with the white/grey smoke. From this and other forums I have seen that this is a reocurring problem with the 6.0.Although my problems ended up being the most serious, I have found three main things that can cause this smoke.
1. Blown Head gaskets. I don't know excactly how this can cause the smoke but Ford Techs told me it could. Maybe because loss of coolant due to blown gaskets will in turn affect the amount of coolant going through the EGR cooler. :dunno
2. If there is a problem with the EGR cooler the recirculated exhaust gases will not be cooled properly and the whole thing will run hot, and especially give off hotter exhaust in the end.
3. Air in the fuel supply system will cause white smoke, rough running and loss of power. Look at page 77 of the 6.0L Powerstroke Bible Powerstroke 6.0L Technical Intro Manual. This is a junior version of the ford shop manual. It's a nice overview of the engine and really good to check out if you are new to the engine.

My truck ended up needing head gaskets and a new EGR cooler. The engine had to be pulled for repair and I am kissing the feet of the service department for doing it all under warranty. I can't imagine what this major surgery would have cost me without the warranty.

Deviant Diesel

Sooting 1 jerk @ a time!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Black, I'll check it out.
Another weird symptom is it tends to do it more when the fuel level is getting lower, like w/ 3/8ths of a tank and lower. Could just be a weird coencidence.

BlackBioBurner

Full Size Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe just air.

That could mean its just air in the fuel supply system. Which I don't think is a serious repair.
I am hoping to get my truck back today after two weeks in the shop with the engine pulled.
KEEP ON TRUCKIN' :thumbs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58