Y pipe exhaust leak

jeffnzoya

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of soot where the Y pipe connect's and can only get 16 lbs of boost. I have been told that a small exhaust leak can cause big time boost problems and since it is almost camper time, it's also time to fix the leak.

During one of my posts, someone mentioned that this is a common problem but was a b---- to reprair because of the lack of room to work.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Jeff.

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
I just did mine when I had the transmission out. I couldnt imagine doing it with the transmission in.

I found a post somewhere about using chevy 350 style exhaust donuts instead, I also found a post about the international parts that make it a regular exhaust flange instead of a slip joint. Too bad I found them after I "fixed" mine with stock parts, I couldnt believe the difference in the cab of the truck. I can now here the exhaust tone from my duals

I dont think it will last long though, I would try to find those other posts, they had part numbers too if I remember right

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Get some F17250 donuts from Car Quest, Bean recommends them. They're wider than OEM and squish better than the sintered metal type.

Also use plenty of anti-sieze on all surfaces where any binding would hinder donut squish when tightening the bolts down.

TIP #1:
Use a tailpipe expander to expand the end of the uppipes where the donuts contact the uppipe. Expand it as much as you can where the uppipe will still go into the donuts and "Y" manifold/baby's butt. The less you have to crush the donut, the easier it'll be to get a good seal.

TIP #2:
Removing the downpipe makes getting to the right side uppipe easier. It's still a PITA, but easier.

Last edited:

jeffnzoya

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your comments. I will pick those part's up monday (got to work Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun).

Glad to hear that this will help my in cab noise. I have complained about this since the engine swap. I haven't heard my exhaust note for a while.

Jeff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg