Yaesu vs Icom radios

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any good reason to choose one brand over another? It seems like most of the guys on the VFD either have one or the other and both brands seem to be pretty reliable and have good range when transmitting. From the looking around on Ebay I've done, they seem to be pretty comparable in pricing with Icom maybe being a tick higher, but nothing to get concerned about. :dunno

Oboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the icom IC-2720h, and can say I do like this radio. The ham club I'm with there is nine other people that have the 2720. I'm thinking about getting another one to put in my other car.
I don’t know a thing about the Yaesu radios, so I cant give you a comparison between the two. All I can say is the 2720 is sweet! I do like the fact that I can set this radio up as a repeater.

Now I just need to find a good handheld!

Mark

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Mostly features and bling bling but yeah price can be a deciding factor.

I've found the Icom's to be quite durable(have 2) as well as one Yaesu 2 meter mobile and a pair of 440 HT's which has worked well for me,the rest of my gear is Motorola & GE/Ericcson which is tops and first choice by me :sweet

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I can't speak for the Yaesu.

I have the ICOM IC-V8, 2100H and the 208H. They are all good radios.

My latest radio is the Kenwood TM-D700. It has so many capabilities I have not learned them all yet.

I like the ICOM green display which the Kenowood does not have. I also like the key pad functions better on the ICOM radios compared to the Kenwood.

Other than that the Kenwood kicks my other radios arses. :D

Tbar

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I have a Yaesu and it has served me well for about 6 years or so.
Many of the guys up here have started buying Kenwoods and they say they are good but I don't have any experience with them.

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Icom 2100H and the V8000. I like the 8000 alot more mainly because it's a front firing speaker. That and 75 watts of power.

We use our radio's more for communication with the race truck during races... Both radio's are put through some brutal punishment with heat and dust. Neither have failed yet.

In the race truck we used to run a V8000 which was working but when we switched intercom systems we went to a Kenwood... I don't know the model number but its more of a mil spec radio instead.. extremely tough just not user friendly.. One of the guys in our crew has a handheld Yaesu and its very nice also. Just not as tough as some other brands I've seen. I can't speak of the mobil units.. I have never seen nor used one.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
ICOM's are rugged. Almost a year ago I dropped my IC-V8 HT from the top row of stands at a local staduim. Radio fell 10' and hit the concrete. :eek: It still works today.

Tbar

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Crumm I didn't know you're also an Amateur Radio Operator :sweet
Well sorta.. We use VHF radios on the haul road up North and at the terminals. I don't have any ham frequencies programmed in. I just have three company channels, a road channel and three channels that we run in Canada.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Crumm said:
Well sorta.. We use VHF radios on the haul road up North and at the terminals. I don't have any ham frequencies programmed in. I just have three company channels, a road channel and three channels that we run in Canada.
I'm surprised ya'll don't use Low Band radios for the vast distances ya'll cover up there :)

When I stated Amateur radio operator I should have added "Licensed" ;) :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58