YAY! I got the WIF warning twice in 25 miles!

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got it. First on Sunday and then on the way home from work today. I was a little excited because it would be the first time I'd get to put a tool to my truck. It was all fine and dandy until I realized that I would have to walk around the mall with my new diesel cologne. Well anyway, it wasn't as fun today because, well, it had only been about 25 miles if that. Do you think it could be a bad tank of fuel? What the heck should the stuff look like when it comes out? The first time it started out a little tan colored but then started coming out like water. Then today, from what I could tell with my flashlight, it was just watery. It still smells like fuel, I figure it will since it was in there with the diesel. Does diesel feel oily or does it come out like water? I don't really no what I'm supposed to be looking for. I'm going to try some of the fixes that I've read on other posts and see if that works out. One question about pressurizing...is that just taking the engine to run without starting and getting the pump to turn on? I guess I'll try that first a bunch and see what happens. Sure hope I don't have to drain the tank, its still half full!

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WIF

Drain the fuel into a preferably clear container. You will be able to see the water in the bottom quite easily, along with some chunks of yucky stuff as well.
I've had to drain mine maybe 15 times until the light would go out. Drain, drive 15 min, drain, drive 15 min. don't be scared to drain the whole housing, let it settle in the container and use the good fuel on top again if it's just water that was in the bottom. I doubt you would have to drop the tank. The filter is designed to filter the particulates out and separate the water(if any) so it can be drained out.(obviously little by little). If you drain your filter and the container you have it in shows 10% or more of water, maybe the tank will need to cleaned. Usually the water that comes out when the light comes on is minimal but needs to be drained. I'm not sure what year your truck is but the early ones had a 6mm hex bolt for the drain and would strip out more often than not. There is a replacement that has the 6mm hex in it but has grooves on the out side of it so it is easier to drain as well as a pin holding the drain plug in the assembly so it won't fall on the ground. Less Eau'd Diesel as well.

snoeproe

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
when you remove the dran plug on the HFCM, let the housing completly drain (takes 25 seconds or so).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64