Yellow/Green Diesel?

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
So, the new Ex is getting crappy mileage. Guy I bought it from gave me the reciepts for oil and filter change as well as fuel filter change. Any way. Have run 1 and a half tanks through it and mileage is real bad. So I finally decide to drain the Fuel filter and the fuel came out looking like anti freeze. 1/4 cup of orange rusty water in it to.

Tried to get the cap off of the engine filter and the cap cracked when I twisted the extension in it. Split the top nut thing, cap is still ok.

Why would the diesel look like this? I drained my 2003 F350 at the same time, no water at all and fuel looked like fuel, a very light brown.

Thanks

Trapper

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the new Ex is getting crappy mileage. Guy I bought it from gave me the reciepts for oil and filter change as well as fuel filter change. Any way. Have run 1 and a half tanks through it and mileage is real bad. So I finally decide to drain the Fuel filter and the fuel came out looking like anti freeze. 1/4 cup of orange rusty water in it to.

Tried to get the cap off of the engine filter and the cap cracked when I twisted the extension in it. Split the top nut thing, cap is still ok.

Why would the diesel look like this? I drained my 2003 F350 at the same time, no water at all and fuel looked like fuel, a very light brown.

Thanks

Trapper

Actually.. the filter/water separator did what it's supposed to do (?) by filtering out Water and Sediments from the fuel.;tu

Diesel, by it's nature, has water in it, and micro sediments too. The sediments will look brown/orange.. the water can look rusty, even milky dirty green.. from Micro- Biological growth (algae). It gets into Lab work from there but that's why we need to buy fuel at stations that have a good "Turn Over" of diesel.. and change the filter(s) at at least, 15K.

Just my .03 Trapper but be sure to replace that broken Cap. It may Look okay but have a weak/small crack that you can't detect. Murphy's Law.. Will apply there...... On a Dark, Lonely, Rainy.. Oregon night ?.. Like, between Sisters & Redmond ?

Joe

Last edited:

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
Oh I am very happy the seperator did it's job. I am just finding it hard to believe that there could be that much crap in there in a tank and a half of fuel. I don't think they changed the filters and judging by the rust on the plug I am probably right.

I will get the cap fixed because I just have to know what that filter looks like, which means I will probably be destroying the one that is on there to get it off:sly

I only get diesel at one place and the fuel is always really clean, never had more than a couple of drops of water in over 6 years. We bought this Excursion used and drove it back to Albany from Reno. Just trying to get the insides all cleaned up and to my specifications.

Thanks

Trapper

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trapper77

Better be careful Trapper. Once you change all your filters, both the frame and the engine, take a close look at them. From what you have said, you haven't seen both filters yet, so you really don't know if the water separator did work. With that much crap in your tank, you'll be lucky if none of it made it to the injectors. The 6.0 injectors life is measured in seconds if gas or water is pushed through them. You may be in for an expensive fix. Even if the water separator did work, it may have starved the engine for fuel (low fuel pressure), due to the amount of water in the fuel, and low fuel pressure is deadly for the injectors also.

Good luck - let us know what happens.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run you a tank or two of B99 bio fuel that will get the crap out.:sweet

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run you a tank or two of B99 bio fuel that will get the crap out.:sweet

... Or a dose or 4 of Power Service; Diesel Clean (grey jug,@ WalMart) AFTER you change the filter(s).. Then change'm again.

I'm think'n 1 of 2 things happened with yer X.

1. The P O didn't change the filters as required.

2. You got a Slug of crap from yer station... Like.. on the day the station took a delivery of #2 diesel.

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
Well, went in to Ford to get the new cap. $57. So, I ask the service manager if the cap is covered under the 5/100,000. He says yes but you will have to pay the $100 deductible. I say no problem, I am already in this $57, why not pay another $43 and have you guys run it and see if there is anything wrong. Check the injectors etc. They say ok and make an appointment.

So I take the cap and completely destroy the old one getting it out. The filter looked perfect, they did indeed change the filter. They must have tourqed it to tight or something. It was brittle as all get out.

My wife must have gotten a batch of real bad fuel on her way home from Reno with it. It is the only thing I can think of. I will keep my eye on it and keep draining once a week and see what comes of it.

Took it in today to the dealer. Said everything checked out A O.K. Caught a break, service manager said they would just call it good at the new cap so I was not out anymore cash. Sounded good to me. Gonna run a tank of bio through it, change the filters and get back to #2.

Thanks for all the help fellas.;tu

Trapper

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58