Yellowjackets and bald-faced hornets

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Are you guys having any bee problems down there? One of the few things I like about Alaska is that we don't have any snakes but I am beginning to think that they might be better than the bees. I have eliminated several hives this summer and know where there a a couple more underground ones that I need to take care of. I did get stung a few weeks ago and my whole hand swelled up. They seem to be becoming a problem. I didn't give it much thought until earlier this week a friend of mine died from a sting. This was the second death this summer due to a bee sting.

News paper story.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
we have really irritable red wasps, that like to build nests in teh red dirt then come up P.Od when you step on teh nest.
makes for a nice day
head swole up :eek:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I have had bad experiences with ground hornets and ground bumble bees while on the tractor. The hornets are small and I didn't see them come up when I parked on top of them. The bumble bees on the other hand came up in a large black cloud and scared the crap out of me!!! :eek: Amazing how fast I was able to hit high gear and the throttle lever to get the !@#$% out of there!!!

One night during late fall I was leaving the property and went to chain the gate closed in the dark. As I reached around the railroad tie with the chain something didn't look right. I went back to the truck and got a flash light and when I turned it on the post was crawling with hundreds of large red wasps trying to find a place to hibernate in the cracks of the wood. Scared the crap out of me!!!

I won't even go into my experiences with the killer bees that took over one of our honey bee hives.

Tbar

Reaction score
Crumm,

We have the bees, the snakes, and of course the fire ants!! I'm sure God created fire ants for a reason, but I haven't figured it out yet. For such tiny little *%#@s they sure pack a sting. Hate 'em!-mad

P.S. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. That really sucks!:(

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Tbar said:
I won't even go into my experiences with the killer bees that took over one of our honey bee hives.

They've been reported in the county I live in this summer.-mad No encounters yet for me.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you havent seen the worst of it till you experiance fire ants...

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Roland_Jenkins said:
yellow jackets and more yellow jackets. I got stung once, MIL got stung half a dozen different times :)
He He He, you can still walk faster than her huh? :D

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I was riding by an alfalfa field @ about 30 mph and had a bee just slip over the top of the windshield, the vacuum created behind the bikes windshiled pulled him down and he hit me in the stomach and then fell between my crotch. You ever seen someone stand up and dance on a Harley before? Fortunately he decided Harley riding wasnt for him and he got off.

But about 40 miles down the road I was clipping along near 70 mph and going by an alfalfa field again..... lo and behold I had another bee hit me in the tricep area and he got stuck in my short sleeve shirt...... that sumagun got me!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14