ZERO GAS MILEAGE NEED HELP

04superduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 f250 harley davidson with 19,000 miles. I bought the car used, all i know is that it has a banks programmer. I get about 25 miles to a 1/4 tank. WTF is going, the truck loves to shift at 3,000 rpm inless you let off the gas a tad. any ideas would be great :D

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try removing the Banks programmer and reset back to stock. Now see what your gas mileage does.

Do you see excessive black smoke out your tailpipe when driving? If so, leaky injector(s).

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
im sure you would have noticed, but we get a few truckers coming into the shop complaining about the same thing and they dont realize that they are leaking fuel badly, causing a "mpg drop".

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Welcome, 04superduty, to Super Duty Diesel. As a new comer, you don't realize that the word "gas" is not used with a diesel truck. I like to use the word "fuel" in its place. Just something new for you. :) :)

Dave :)

04superduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ya i mean the truck doesnt leak fuel or i would assume it would be all over my garage floor. :confused: any idea if its this banks programmer, i see a lot of you guys getting around 15mpg, If i try as hard as i can to baby it and crawl down the street, i get 10

04superduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Try removing the Banks programmer and reset back to stock. Now see what your gas mileage does.

Do you see excessive black smoke out your tailpipe when driving? If so, leaky injector(s).

The only time i see black smoke is if i punch it, and than its only for a second. other wises no smoke at all, inless i start it up and its cold. I want to remove the programmer but the guy didnt give it to me, any way to hard reset the ecu back to stock?

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Forget the gauge........you not getting an acurate reading from it.

Fill it up the truck, reset the trip meter and refill every 300 miles. Check your milage with pencil and paper.

Tbar

dpantazis

Reaction score
leaking injectors will not drip on the floor. the injectors have an oring seal in the head. check your oil, if ti smells like fuel, you might have a leaking injector.

as far a fuel consumption, think of the injector valve NOT closing at the right time or all the way.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget the gauge........you not getting an acurate reading from it.

Fill it up the truck, reset the trip meter and refill every 300 miles. Check your milage with pencil and paper.

Tbar

YES.. That's the ticket.

There's nothing more accurate than good, 'ol time Arithmetic. ***.X miles divided by XX.X gallons >IS<, No BS.. XX.X Miles Per Gallon.

Tire size and Winter Blend are the only other things to concider.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time i see black smoke is if i punch it, and than its only for a second. other wises no smoke at all, inless i start it up and its cold. I want to remove the programmer but the guy didnt give it to me, any way to hard reset the ecu back to stock?

Wait a minute... Banks doesn't reprogram anything... it's just an add on plugged into the ECU.

Do you have the module in there or not? Otherwise I think you got screwed and you need to contact your lawyer if you haven't already. He's claiming the truck is programmed with banks stuff but he didn't give you the programmer? Somethin' ain't right... :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64