air filter restriction gauge

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
has anyone put the stock restriction gauge on the tymar intake? I have it and the grommet. Where would it be best located if I do add it?

Thanx!

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
has anyone put the stock restriction gauge on the tymar intake? I have it and the grommet. Where would it be best located if I do add it?

Thanx!

Why bother--I've got my gauge zip-tied to the firewall and it doesn't seem to move very much while it's there... ;) :p :p

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I cant picture what you mean about zip tying it. I dont have mine installed at all - I just removed it yesterday from the old stock housing so it is on the garage shelf.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
ok, so how do you have it connected to check the air? I can see hoses but not where they go.

Thanks, this seems easier than installing.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
ok, so how do you have it connected to check the air? I can see hoses but not where they go.

Thanks, this seems easier than installing.

I don't. Even for the ~4 years I had it installed in my aFe Stage I, I never checked it so I figured that with the Tymar and it's huuuuuge filter area, I would check it even less than "never" so at least it's out of the way where I can work around it.

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm reading your post correctly, you want to know where to put the filter minder so it still tells you when to change your filter.

Most every post on this subject I've read says to throw it away because it doesn't seem to work as advertised. However, should you still want to use it, one post I read (on another site...shhhh) says to drill an appropriate size hole (I don't remember the dimensions, but it would be the size of the groove in the grommet) in the closed end of the filter and put it there. Since you'll be drilling from the outside in, make sure you catch all the shavings or they'll get sucked into the intake.

Hope this helped.

Howard

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
I cant picture what you mean about zip tying it. I don't have mine installed at all - I just removed it yesterday from the old stock housing so it is on the garage shelf.

I'll try to clear some confusion here. The filter restriction gauge on the OBS and some early super duties (my 2000 included) is a mechanical device designed to show when you need to change your filter. They have been a source of argument over the years on many different forums as to whether or not they actually function. Mine has never moved. Mine sat in the garage for years after I changed to an Airaid intake that did not use it. It returned to my truck when I upgraded to the AFE stage II intake, but only to plug the hole that was there for it.

The reason that jvencius has his tie wrapped is because he probably has the newer style filter minder which has wiring going to it and cannot be unplugged without problems.

Hope that helped.

If you want to reinstall it simply drill a hole in your intake tube, post filter, large enough to install a grommet and the minder into the grommet. Install it close to the filter. The whole principle behind it is that if you are not getting enough air through a dirty filter it will draw a vacuum across the filter minder sucking it in and letting you know to change your filter.

*these are all opinions of a non certified Internet diesel mechanic:p

Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
for whatever reason, mine shattered about 3 months ago and the light came on in the dash. just puchased another to replace it while on the road.

i could tell a diff. in the way it sounded when it was shattered vs. after i replaced it with a new one.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
The reason that jvencius has his tie wrapped is because he probably has the newer style filter minder which has wiring going to it and cannot be unplugged without problems.

Yep--'dat be the reason. If mine didn't have the wiring connected to it, I'd have chitcanned the sensor 4 years ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14