02 f350 ignition problems help please

1ofakindgt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got what I believe to be a broken acuator rod in the ignition. Went to the county fair and starter took a crap. While working on it we kept trying to start it which leads me to my next problem. While trying to start it I felt something snap in the ignition now the truck is stuck in the forward accessory mode. You can turn it all the way forward to try and start it but it won’t come out of that position. The key moves freely back and forth and the tumbler moves freely without the key. Pulled the old tumbler looked warn out so I tried that first and the same thing just moves freely.

Also what do I need to pull the steering wheel. Autozone puller doesnt work.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Sounds like a clip or somethin that holds the rod in place came off? I've never been into those columns before.

Midnightrider

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
To get the wheel off, just put your knee under the bottom and pull on the top with your hands. Just wiggle it back and forth and it will come off. Of course remove air bag and nut first.

1ofakindgt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well the Ford dealer said the ignition actuator rod is very common problem so thats where im starting and it makes sense because ive already replaced the ignition tumbler. Never had a steering column apart so im nervous but will see how it goes.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Got a camera on your cell phone or a digital camera? Take pictures every step of the way. It's tedious and mind-bending, but doable..

1ofakindgt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I got everything apart the little pin broke off the end but how the hell do you get the new one in.

What a serious pain in the ass I might add.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have forgotten how many items, in these trucks, are pains in the ass! Glad you got this one.

Dave :thumbs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14