03 powerstroke turbo why is it better?

SubaruWRX

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
03 powerstroke turbo why is it better? i heard they only put this turbo on it for 1 year and i was wondering how is it diffrent, and will it fit my 04. will i need engin managment.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ahh, I read something (maybe someone will chime in here behind me) that in the first year of the VVT they used a wheel that had 10 vanes, then the next year it went to 12 vanes and now it sits at 14 vanes IIRC. The 10 vane wheels were found to spool faster.

By the way, welcome to the site.

Powersmokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THe 03-04.5 have 10 vanes. 04.5-05 12 vane 05 and up have 15 vanes. the 10 vane turbo has fewer vanes which allows it to spool up faster. Depending on your build date and i cant remember for the life of me what month they switched them in but u may have a 10 vane as it is. Do u turbo back exhaust on the truck now? If so do u have a high pitched screech or whistle when u push the accelerator? If u dont have the 10 vane turbo u can buy one from ford and install it. you have to get a new turbo pedistal to make it fit though. im pretty sure the turbo petistal is all u need to make the swap. i have heard of the 10 vane actually addin a couple horses as well due to the quicker spool:thumbs

ps i have a vid that i can send ya if u want to hear a 10 vane turbo:sweet

Last edited:

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
I heard the '03 turbos have a variable vane system, is that true? The way i understood is that the pitch of the fins changes with the engine conditions, is this right? The stories that i have heard say that the '03 turbo was installed on a different year truck as an upgrade and they could make significantly large boost at idle, given if the fins were in the full flow position:rolleyes:
I do not have any first hand expirience with this, for me this is hearsay, hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in and verify this or set the record straight.

Thanks
Neal

Powersmokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes yes and yes as an upgrade on the 6.0. the newer chevy duramaxs also have a version of the same garret turbo. their new lbz is 11 vane and has that whistle screech to it.:sweet

Last edited:

SubaruWRX

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I cant see the vains pitching or tuning on the shaft, Im no desile expert but i know alot about turbos. that would be nearly impossable.

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SubaruWRX said:
I cant see the vains pitching or tuning on the shaft, Im no desile expert but i know alot about turbos. that would be nearly impossable.

That's why it's called a VGT, Variable Geometry Turbo. It's what it does. FWIW. I can easily hit 29-30#.

I keep meaning to take a video clip of mine, the sound is great IMO. :thumbs

The looks on bystanders faces is priceless. :D

Barrett

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
SubaruWRX, its like a helicopter. You can change the pitch of the blades while the blades are spinning.

The turbo whistle on the 03' 6.0L has got to be the best noise in the world. I love just screaming past people to see the looks on their faces.

Powersmokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It even sounds good at idle. i was with one of my friends one night at a party and he started his truck up. we stood around talkin for a few minutes to a couple other people and someone came down and asked when the jet was takin off lol.:roflmao

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh, guys... the turbo's vanes don't move, it's the ring AROUND the turbo that changes pitch... they've been using this concept for eons on hydro power generation at dams and locks.

At low speed the vanes close back to increase pressure from the exhaust manifold to the turbo, it's like using a garden hose with the nozzle opened a little.

When you're rolling and have plenty of exhaust volume coming out of the motor, the vanes open up, and let more exhause flow through, since there is already sufficient pressure available.

Check out the 05 or 06 F series sales brochure, they show it on the cutaway of the engine... it's those little fins around the outside of the turbo that move.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14