04 Powerstroke Straight Pipe?

dirtydeeds

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a customer request with an 04 Super Duty and have a couple questions. I hope this is in the right section, I haven't actually looked at the truck yet. I'm pretty sure it was still 7.3L in 04? If not would a moderator please move this to the appropriate thread?

The truck is an Indiana truck, I think. I know this guy is from Indiana and I'm pretty sure he bought his truck there. I ran into this guy when he was mud bogging his truck in Plaster City CA. For those of you who don't know Plaster City is in the lower Colorado Desert about 20 miles or so North of Mexico. It's usually very dry, but this year there are ponds randomly throughout the desert! It's pretty cool.

Anyways, I was filming this guy doing donuts through one of these ponds and he noticed that I was filming. We started talking and I notified him that I would be posting the video on YouTube. I'll post a link here when I finally get the video up, it's pretty cool. He noticed that I manufacture my own mufflers and asked me if I could make him one for his truck. I told him that I could but that he could also just straight pipe it as well.

My question to you guys is this:

1.Is an 04 PowerStroke obnoxious with a straight pipe? My 96 sounded good!

2. Is there a cat on an 04?

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be finding out how it sounds personally real soon. My 04 is a 6.0 and it's getting a new Maganflow exhaust tomorrow. I just had to replace my turbo. I figure a free-flowing exhaust is worth the cost to extend the life of the turbo and the rest. Mine has a cat & I'm removing it for sure. Depending on how it sounds, I'll get a muffler delete pipe and annoy the neighbors a bit more. There's definitely a difference in the sound between the 7.3 & 6.0. The 6.0 doesn't quite sound as "meaty" as the 6.0 and the 7.3 seems to have a bit more turbo whine.

There's no replacement for displacement! Even when it comes to sound.

Last note on the cat... Everyone says to hang on to them becuase we may have to re-install them due to upcoming emission rules. :-(

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
'04 would be a 6.0L powerplant
the 7.3L ended at the model year split in '02

straight pipes are popular modifications..
legality of such is subject to state and federal laws...

so, hope ya don't need a smog sticker....

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 6.0 with no CAT or Muffler. You cant beat the sound and it is not obnoxious. The Airaid filter add I believe more breathing ability to the engine thus I seem to get more airflow through the system. The turbo whine sounds great.:cool:

dirtydeeds

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok! I've got all my questions answered! The 04 is a 6.0, it has a cat, and it's the truck with all that high pitch turbo whine.

This guy is going to be stoked if he goes through with the mods I've got planned for his truck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14