08 SD 6.4L Power Steering Issues

KALIKO JAKK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
anyone else had this problem ? I've got an 08 6.4L XLT with 64,000 kms on it and there is basically NO power steering when the truck is stationary. If I get her moving slightly the power steering comes on slightly enough to not have to muscle the wheel around, the faster it's going the easier to steer. Not leaking any fluid and in fact I just flushed the system and put in fresh ATF.

any ideas ?

KJ

jackmac

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
power steering

I am having the exact same problem with my power steering. I have never flushed the system and it only has 31,000 miles on it but the problem comes and goes. It feels as if there is zero power steering while sitting still but as you move it gets a little better just because the tires are moving and it reduces the friction. Other times it acts mostly normal. My fluid level is exactly where it should be. It really makes it tough when you are trying to pull in or back out of a tight parking spot. Please let me know if anyone has had this problem and been able to fix it.

KALIKO JAKK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
nope, they know how to fix it, they just won't pay to have it done. Apparently it requires a completely different power steering set up that would cost thousands. I sure wish I had known this prior to buying my truck. I believe there are some after market hydraulic steering set ups out there that would do the trick but then you get into voiding the factory warranty issues, as usual the man has us by the ball bag. I wonder if the engineer who designed the steering system is still working at ford. Who am I kidding they likely gave him a raise and put him up for promotion.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem with my power steering. I have never flushed the system and it only has 31,000 miles on it but the problem comes and goes. It feels as if there is zero power steering while sitting still but as you move it gets a little better just because the tires are moving and it reduces the friction. Other times it acts mostly normal. My fluid level is exactly where it should be. It really makes it tough when you are trying to pull in or back out of a tight parking spot. Please let me know if anyone has had this problem and been able to fix it.

My truck only has 8100 miles, and it does the same thing, has since new.

From what I've read it's a design flaw, and ford will do nothing about it.

That means Ford has no clue how to fix it.

nope, they know how to fix it, they just won't pay to have it done. Apparently it requires a completely different power steering set up that would cost thousands. I sure wish I had known this prior to buying my truck. I believe there are some after market hydraulic steering set ups out there that would do the trick but then you get into voiding the factory warranty issues, as usual the man has us by the ball bag. I wonder if the engineer who designed the steering system is still working at ford. Who am I kidding they likely gave him a raise and put him up for promotion.

Is this that common (?), and in Print ? If it is, it should be pursued.

This ain't safe.. let alone, Right.

:dunno

How 'bout a smaller pulley ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14