08 Tailgate

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the new tailgate on the 08 and was stoked to find out it could be made to fit my 05. My question is has anyone converted one of the tailgates with the step built in? Would the conversion process be any different from a non-step tailgate? I think that would be awesome to have the tailgate with the step.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
The 2008 tailgates will fit on a 1999 to 2007 as well.

Both a non-step & step will work and the procedure would be the same.

Hopefully, you could fine one that is already painted and matches your truck, or you have found one and all you will have to do is have it painted.

If you choose to piece it out and buy it at the parts counter, the tailgate assemblies are different between the two. There are several parts that you can use off of your stock tailgate and just transfer them over to the new one.

Your best bet is to find one and just have it painted to match in case it is a diff. color.

Look in my signature at my tailgate conversion and you can see what I did to make mine work.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A huge advantage of having a white truck is that there are tons of white trucks on the road. Finding a tailgate that doesn't need to be painted shouldn't be too difficult.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
A huge advantage of having a white truck is that there are tons of white trucks on the road. Finding a tailgate that doesn't need to be painted shouldn't be too difficult.

That is true. I have seen posts where members have paid anywhere from 250 to 350 bucks for a 2008 white tailgate that had been taken off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14