2002 SD XLT getting hard to start

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, we'll do that.

I just ordered the Stancor 586-902 relay this morning. It seemed pretty much the concensus that this would be a good thing to do regardless.

I will get the posts and clamps cleaned off tomorrow. Whether that helps or not, I'm sure I can make it a couple more days til the new relay comes in. I will test the old relay that's on it in the morning, too, and see what it does. I think I can handle that based on the other posts I've read here.

Also, I checked at lunch. Seems like the fluid between the valve covers is diesel fuel. Don't know if that's just some overflow or some such related to the hard starting or not.

;tu

Being an 02, If you havent R&R'd them already.. I'd betcha the Water Drain Valve O rings, on the filter housing, have dryed up and are leaking. Fuel drips into the valley, eventualy drips off the bell housing.. on the ground. Ford/IH sells a rebuild kit that fixes that. Easy fix.

Joe

Again.. a Seasonal thing. Things shrink as the ambient temps get colder ? If they're Old.. they leak ?

rocketdog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I bought the truck in Feb 2008 and haven't R&R anything. I will see if I can find this kit online. The "fuel" did seem pretty watery.

Also, occasionally, there is a dash light that comes on that may be related. It is near the "Wait to Start" light and it looks like a gas pump with raindrops falling on it. I thought it maybe meant there was moisture in the fuel? It would always go out and the truck ran fine so I've never worried about it too much.

rocketdog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just ordered this kit. I hope it is the right one.

This message is to confirm your order with DieselOrings.com
You ordered the following items:

QTY ITEM Cost EA TOTAL
1 pkg #7-001 - Fuel Drain O-rings - 3 BLACK Viton Type (A) o-rings for the 7.3 yellow fuel drain valve for 94-03 F-series 7.3 diesel engines. Order of 1 is a set of 3 o-.. $3.50/pkg $3.50

Shipping method: USPS 1st Class Mail (4-7 business days)

Total merchandise: $ 3.50
Total shipping: $ 2.17 USPS 1st Class Mail (4-7 business days)
Total Order cost: $ 5.67
Payment Method: PayPal

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That WIF light is not a good thing.

Yul need to drain the filter bowl to change out the O rings anywayz. Then.. will be good time to CLEAN the filter bowl... of Anything that might be in there.

Hint: When you tighten the allen screws on the drain valve body.. Tighter is NOT better. Seat'm down Snug, then Tighten'm down Only..with the same force it took to loosen'm.

Joe

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a preferred filter or just use an Autozone special?

Hmmmm.. When is the last time (mileage wise) you change your fuel filter ???

A Wix, Hastings, Any of the Major Brand filters.. but Not a AZ Specail.

A fowled (water) dirty fuel filter could be your "Hard To Start" problem.

Last edited:

rocketdog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.. When is the last time (mileage wise) you change your fuel filter ???

A Wix, Hastings, Any of the Major Brand filters.. but Not a AZ Specail.

A fowled (water) dirty fuel filter could be your "Hard To Start" problem.

I'll get a new one today and change it out. I'm hoping my GPR comes today, too, and I can do it all at one shot.

I bought the truck in Feb 08 with 104K miles. It now has 140K on it. I haven't done anything to it (except change the oil). I know, I know... I've got to start being nicer to my truck. I bought it to haul a circle track car on the advice of a friend. I don't know jack about diesels, but I have been very pleased with it so far.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Diesel trucks require good maintenance to keep running. Good quality oil filters and a good oil for diesels. You have paid a lot for your truck and you can't skimp on any of this. Every 5000 miles for oil and filter changes.

Dave :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14