Question 203 degrees thermostat

OBS96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is it better to run a 203 degrees thermostat, because your running hotter, so you get a more complete burn, hence more power? That makes sence to me, and is enough to make me swap out my old thermostat, but is there more to it than this? Is there mechanical benifits from running warmer too?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
it gives you more heat while you are stuck in traffic on a cold winter day.

also, it keeps the engine in its happy spot when its cold out, or you arent working it hard enough to make more heat.

i dont know about more power though. i would say not really, unless you are considering the cold engine HP numbers.

i am putting one in soon because i am tired of freezing my nuts off all the way to work. the engine doesnt work hard enough to warm itself up beyond the t-stat open point in the winter.

dpantazis

Reaction score
think of it this way, 203 is the temp where the thermostat opens. the coolant gets to the EXACT same maximum temp with both the 195 and the 203.

diesels are happiest running around 200 degrees.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
once your thermostat opens, 100* or 200*, the cooling system functions the same to keep the engine cool. the thermostat raises the minimum running temp. to be sure that the cooling system doesnt make it run too cool

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 94's had 203F thermostats stock. I pull a single-slide 27.5 ft fiver up the eastern sierra's in summer in some pretty high temps without any problem at all (A/C on all the time too!). I also live in between Bakersfield CA (HOT) and Mojave CA (Real HOT) and have never had a cooling issue. Cheers!

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced the 0.5 to 1 MPG increase DieselSite claims possible? Such an increase in economy seems a little far fetched to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14