5spd tranny question

surreyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey every one , I'm just curious what causes gear rattle ? My 97 has 350000kms & I notice when I'm in a higher gear & lower rpm (rolling around corners . I don't mean I'm doin 60kms in fith)what would cause this & what would be a fix ? Was just wondering if maybe after all those kms if the shifter could be worn inside the tranny ? Thankx for any help

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It may be loose, but do you want to spend the money to re-build it??? It won't hurt anything to run it. Keep an eye on it.

Dave

surreyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanx daveben , so that's a symptom of a tranny on its way out then ? It wouldn't help if I just switched out the actual shifter to maybe a short throw , witch would be nice anyways

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would just call it normal wear and tear. Changing the shifter won't rebuild the tranny, but might make YOU feel better...

Dave

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are some plastic/nylon bushings in the shifter pivot point that can lead to some rattling as they wear out. This noise should be quieted down if you simply hold the gear shifter or pick up on it slightly. Check the fluid level. Many people have indicated that extra noise can be greatly quieted by an extra cup or 2 of oil put in through the top.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just in case you need it:

Shifter Bushings, ZF 5-Speed
ZF Part #: 1307 306 154
Ford Part #: E7TZ-7C371-A

Cheers!

surreyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanx to every one . Can anyone tell me if there is a maker of a short throw shifter out there for a 97 f250 5spd ? & is so what is the name of the maker ? I have tryed hurst & b&m with no luck . Thanx for any info

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Those guys are add on shifters. The 5 speed is a top cover shifter and it all is build in. I have never heard of any one making top cover shifter kits. I know what you mean.

Dave

aaklingler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could the noise be coming from the flywheel? Do you know if you have a dual mass or a single mass flywheel?

SD70M

SuperDuty
Reaction score
My 93 has a SMF and my 94 has a DMF.....

I also thought something was wrong with the tranny in the 93, when I got that gear noise at lower RPM's. Once I drove the 94, I noticed that noise was not there. Evidently, the DMF does a good job, of absorbing the pulses that cause that noise.

I still plan to do the Lucky mod on that DMF, when it decides to take a dump on me..... That will make it a SMF...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14