6.4 twins on a 7.3

Sledpuller

Pullin fool
Reaction score
That is true Bama but the 2008 tailgate was designed to go with the new 2008 superduty and you found a way to convert it to your 2004. Hummer H2 wheels were made for the Hummer and guys found a way to put them on a Dodge. Why do guys go with aftermarket turbo setups either single or twins when there stock turbo is what was made to go with there engine? See, You did something no one else had done with the tailgate, I'm waiting for someone to do this turbo setup.

Sledpuller

Pullin fool
Reaction score
If I had time to leave my ex in the shop and had a set of those twins sitting around and the Air Force wasn't taking up all my time I would love to be able to sit there and scratch my head and fab and cut and get it right and then put in my DIY in wiki tiki.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So fab a mount. At one point in time twins didn't fit on anything until somebody came up with a way to do it. I need some hardcore evidence to support the pros and cons.

The smaller charger is vgt unit an you would have to find a way to control it. The system on the 6.4 was desigend spacificly fo that motor. For what it would cost to adapt them you could get an aftermarket setup that would perform better. But if you have the money and could do it who am I to say no.

Sledpuller

Pullin fool
Reaction score
I guess I am just gonna let this one go and forget about it. I thought more folks would be interested in something that could be alot cheaper than aftermarket twins but oh well.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I guess I am just gonna let this one go and forget about it. I thought more folks would be interested in something that could be alot cheaper than aftermarket twins but oh well.

The cost of the 6.4 twins might be cheaper, but its the fab work to make it happen that would cost abunch. And then even if you got it all fabed up, the performance may just not be there.

But we will never know until someone does it (if it can be done at all)

As far as the tailgate analogy, there is no comparison with what you want to do. I was dealing with the exact same amount of space for each tailgate.

All I had to do was change one hinge and that was it.

Fitting the 6.4 twins would be like trying to hammer that square peg into a round hole.
hammer.gif

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.4 twins are not idea for several reasons.

1, there sized for a 6.4l motor, not one quite a bit bigger.

2, the VGT on the first stage is a bugger and will have the same issues as the VGT on a 6.0. There is a reason most performance 6.0's go away from the VGT.

3, it will not fit under the hood of a 7.3 without removeing the AC, an aftermarket fuel system which removes the fuel bowl.

By the time you got done solveing these issues, you could have bolted on a BWD set of twins which will perform better and be sized correctly.

dieselmac99

Diesel Christian
Reaction score
But the 6.4 twins were made for the 6.4. I don't think they were just sitting around and the said hey, lets put those twins in this new motor.

Both turbos and engine were designed for each other.

The twins are on the 6.4 because it cant meet the new emissions without them. I think it does more harm than good. Go with aftermarket. 6.4 turbos are for emissions control not really power mods. As far as I know:hmm

so no uh...:haha

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
the 6.4 twins are actually pulling quite a bit of boost for stock turbos. if i remember correctly matt spartan has a 6.4 over 600hp on stock injectors and turbos so the turbos must be making some good boost numbers to put down 600hp.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14