6 Speed Tranny Troubles

NovaScotiaF350

SDD Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a 2006 F350 with the 6 speed manual tranny in it but when I put it in low gear and start to realease the clutch the thing fly's out of gear as soon as it starts to grab.
I noticed before this started happening that if I had it in low gear and was heading up a steep incline or anything like that the shifter was moving around alot, not sure if that has anything to do with it but now it won't stay in gear at all.
If anybody had this happen to them before or knows what might be wrong could you just fill me in. every other gear works fine from first to fifth its just low that I'm having troubles with. thanks in advance for your help.

Cowboyboots

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
how long has this been happening? will the shifter stay in the same spot and not "grab" or will the shifter basically shoot out?

atk

Reaction score
it is worth checking. have had older trucks do this with a bad mount....what happens shifter hits cut out in floor and pops it out of gear. if not, then it is internal....

NovaScotiaF350

SDD Member
Reaction score
yeah its worth a check, I'll take a look at it tomorow and see what I can come up with. If it is internal does anybody have any idea of how much work I might be getting into?

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
The 6 speeds are not for the faint of heart to disassemble. I've been in a ZF5, it was doable, but a friend of mine (certified diesel tech) had a ZF6 apart and it was very difficult to reassemble. You could have a detent ball/ spring issue in the shifter portion, that might not be so bad... otherwise I haven't heard of much of any trouble with these. How many miles on it? Can you hold it in gear with your hand?

Last edited:

NovaScotiaF350

SDD Member
Reaction score
The 6 speeds are not for the faint of heart to disassemble. I've been in a ZF5, it was doable, but a friend of mine (certified diesel tech) had a ZF6 apart and it was very difficult to reassemble. You could have a detent ball/ spring issue in the shifter portion, that might not be so bad... otherwise I haven't heard of much of any trouble with these. How many miles on it? Can you hold it in gear with your hand?

Yeah someone had mentioned to me that it might have something to do with some kind of a ball or something in the transmission, It has about 61000 miles on it and yeah if I remember correctly I can hold it in gear when I let the clutch out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14