7.3 Tranny problem

Tony Montana

"The BAD Guy"
Reaction score
Asking this for my dad he has a 2001 7.3 and is having problems with his tranny. It was not shifting properly. It was shifting 1st to 2nd but not to third. The overdrive light was on steady. Then he added luckis and it is shifting some what ok at this time. However the overdrive light is now blinking when he gets the engine warmed up. Any idea whats wrong? Try to be specific if you can:help

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You need to find someone who has a code reader for your truck (transmission place or Ford) to read the codes. The flashing OD light means you have codes stored in the TCM or what ever the transmission controller is called.

Dave

Johnswiftm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Need to drop the pan and see if there is anything in there. Just had this problem on my tranny with no shifting into third gear and it was the intermediate band was broken. This is a common problem for the trannies.

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An 01 makes me think it is the mechanical diode they put in it that has screwed up. Mine did that. Check the trans fluid and see if it is burnt. Assuming that the fluid level is good that is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14