94 chip install

MrTailLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have not done so yet. i worked on tax crap till about 5:00PM saturday, had truck inside the shop all warmed up ready to work on, and the wife called to take our kids and their friends to Chukie Cheese's. on the way back home i got a call for another repo, checked on the vehicle (just done a drive by on the way home, it was there), dropped the wife & kids off and went and got it. all said and done with kids, wife, & repo it was 9:30 and i thought i would just work on it sunday....sunday's here and we had more company through the day at the house than we have had all year long combined! i did watch the Redskins win ;) and the Steelers loose :(

i checked out that link, VERY INFORMATIVE!! i hope to get it installed monday. my truck has the running boards and i sure dont feel like taking those off for this install. i will try to do it from the inside. if i have any trouble, then i will do it the long way.

i am told that i have to notch out the fire wall to clear the plug for the chip when i re-install the computer....anyone run across this, or is it just a myth?

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had mine out a few times, the last time I carefully just wiggled it out of the firewall without removing the splash sheild

94redbeauty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to pull a couple bolts off of the inner fender to give it enough space to pull the PCM, its really not that big of a deal, though I dont know if having the running boards there would mess things up? Just try to go in from behind the ebrake assembly

BBT

only an egg
Reaction score
I've had mine out a few times and never pulled my tire or running board. There is a link somewhere for this, but couldn't find it now.

Remove the fender liner fasteners in the approximately 11-12 o'clock to the 2-3 o'clock position(looking at the wheel well).
Insert a prybar between the liner and the fender about 5-6 inches just in front of and below the PCM. Look down from the top as you push the bar in so you don't catch any wires.
Using the fender as a fulcrum, pry the liner down (it's flexible) just enough so you can slide the PCM out. You don't need to crank on it too hard, it will make a bit of noise, but the liner will bend out of your way and not be damaged as long as you have enough of the fasteners removed.

I was able to easily pull and hold the prybar with one hand while reaching over the fender to pull out the PCM with the other. Or you could use a helper to hold the bar. You should have it out in less than 10-15 minutes.

Easier to do than describe.

Good Luck!
BBT

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
I tried to do it the easy way but that didnt work (truck acted like I had done nothing after installing the chip) I took the PCM out of the truck and did what I THOUGHT was a good job of cleaning the contacts...Re-Installed PCM w/ Chip...No Dice, truck was stock....

Figured the chip was no good but I wasn't doin anything else, I took the PCM back out and cleaned it again with a blade and some nail polish remover...re-installed and BANG works like a champ! So sometimes guys have luck gettin it done the easy way....no so much my luck....

-Casey

MrTailLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just this evening i got it in! works great!

please follow the above links, and take the inner fender screws out so you have the computer on your table for a good cleaning!! i took out the E brake, and saw what i needed to do, and went the long way for safty. took about 1.5 hours, from start, to test, to putting a few tools away. i mounted the swith on the dash just to the right of the wait to start light. looks good, and works like advertised.

thanks for all your help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlaskaRedneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, glad to hear it!

I dont think I caught which positions you decided to put on it.

Again, congrats! I know you'll love it;)
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MrTailLight said:
stock, high idle, no start, 50, 75, & 100.

works like a champ!

Hmmm, Im curious. W/ the no start between stock and your power positions.... wouldnt you have to shut off the truck if you wanted to switch from either of the lower two to the higher 3?:dunno

Just curious.
-Stouff

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl