96 F350 Died on highway

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I needed an IDM for my 97 ,The pcm spit out a code for it. I got the translation for the number on the internet, I don't remember what site, I typed in Ford codes & found a site that translated the number. It identified my IDM as bad.I also found an IDM on ebay for 212.00. The guy's email is [email protected](Michael Minarik. I got it in about 2 days. Maybe this will help.

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I think finding someone willing to donate a PSD to slap your IDM into is really what you need to do. How far is Luke from you?
I think Luke is 2 hours away. If he chimes in I can contact him and see if he would meet me somewhere. He's a good kid I met him at a dyno days last summer.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also , Ford tells me if the PCM is bad it may not realize the IDM is not working, the Pcm tells the idm what to do & when to do it.My Ford dealer knew an ambulance co that had one they used for testing. They were kind enough to loan to them so they could loan it to me.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
action4478 said:
Also , Ford tells me if the PCM is bad it may not realize the IDM is not working, the Pcm tells the idm what to do & when to do it.My Ford dealer knew an ambulance co that had one they used for testing. They were kind enough to loan to them so they could loan it to me.

But with the IDM not putting out voltage I don't think thats the case.

The 40psi fuel is low after rereading the post, but it should still crank I would think. The tell-tell diagnostic at this point is that the IDM is not putting out voltage, whether its the IDM or a harness problem is the question. IMO

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
whatabudro said:

The 40psi fuel is low after rereading the post, but it should still crank I would think. The tell-tell diagnostic at this point is that the IDM is not putting out voltage, whether its the IDM or a harness problem is the question. IMO

Fuel pressure is actually set at 45psi which stock for the 96 is usually 43psi. I have an electric fuel pump like yours installed and the original mechanical pump is removed. It has work well there for 1 1/2 years. When switched to Veggie that fuel pressure is 62 psi. These trucks will run with a lot lower fuel pressure . I sometimes purge my system driving down the highway, when purging the fuel line pressure is around 20psi. And she doesn't skip a beat.

I checked again tonight, pwr and gnd to the IDM, no voltage to the injector. Or maybe I can find a donor truck close by and check my IDM. I will be looking for a IDM tomorrow. Hopefully a loaner

82FordTruck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:

Maybe he did something after I left last night, but we had it do the buzz test and tried to find the voltage during the buzz test, and couldn't find that. Is our procedure wrong? We were checking from ground to pin #'s 2&4 in the harness, and saw no voltage at all. We used an analog meter, because it would be more sensitive and move faster. It was set on the 250 VDC scale.

But it had to be sending out a voltage to do the buzz test, because it worked, except on the two injectors we had unplugged.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
82FordTruck said:
Maybe he did something after I left last night, but we had it do the buzz test and tried to find the voltage during the buzz test, and couldn't find that. Is our procedure wrong? We were checking from ground to pin #'s 2&4 in the harness, and saw no voltage at all. We used an analog meter, because it would be more sensitive and move faster. It was set on the 250 VDC scale.

But it had to be sending out a voltage to do the buzz test, because it worked, except on the two injectors we had unplugged.

Hmmmm, I actually haven't had to try that myself. I'd try from 2 or 4 to the center. Otherwise rig up a jumper/breakout so center, 2, and 4 are still connected. Then check the voltage while firing

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
They are pulse width modulated, so I doubt an analog meter is quick enough to pick it up. Will have to be a DVOM with the right features for the application I think.

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
johndeerebones said:
They are pulse width modulated, so I doubt an analog meter is quick enough to pick it up. Will have to be a DVOM with the right features for the application I think.

I have a nice Fluke DVOM and it didn't seam to be fast enough to catch a signal, even on peak hold. That's why we used the analog meter. I checked both banks, and have checked using the pulg ground and the truck ground. I just don't think they are getting the voltage.

I am trying to find a loaner truck to test my IDM or even a salvage yard IDM. I don't know where the PowerStroke grave yard is in eastern Kansas and Western Missouri, But NO Salvage yards have ANY Ford PSD's. I suppose that I will buy a new one just to check and make sure that the problem is in the IDM.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Too fast, interesting. Try the AC scale on the DVOM, it should pick up the RMS value between 0 and Peak, at least I would expect it to. Of course, cranking there would be a pretty good space between peaks, so that may pose a problem. However doing a buzz it should read for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14