97 Superduty Fuel Consumption

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
We have about 3,000 miles pulling a 16,000+# boat and trailer and the last trip I was able to get a decent estimate of 7 MPG.

This truck has the 5.13 rear end and a 5 speed manual tranny and the RPMS are close to 2500 at 57 MPH which I chose as a normal cruising speed.

My question is : does anyone make a 2 speed axle or gear box for this thing?
I seem to remeber back in the late 60s they sold gear boxes to the guys who had to drive to the drag strips and those cars were putiing out 500 + HP.

We are located in Central Florida and our longest pull to date has been 300 miles one way to the Keys so hills are not an issue. Maybe this something we just live with ????

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gearvendors makes an auxiliary overdrive that'll require some modification of the driveshaft and set you back around 3k new.

mathematically you'll likely never recoup the cost of the initial investment :( Here's a post I made a while back on the subject

If memory serves me right you can get a lower gear for the rear end (lower numerically) which will lower your RPM provided you have enough power to get your boat moving from a stop and up the boat launch ramp. I can't remember if you have a Dana 110 or 135.

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I don't know which rear end is on it and it is parked in the RV lot, not readily accessible. My fear with a taller ring gear would be pulling it up the ramps as I don't have 4 wheel drive and the boat is really heavy. This would require a locker or some type of limited slip which together would probably throw the cost near the Gear Vender option.
Hopefully diesel fuel prices will remain steady for a couple more years.

Thanks for your thoughts.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How 'bout just keep'n yer Eyes & Ears open for a complete Rear-end, housing, axels and all.. like with 4:??'s in it ?

:dunno

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sparky,
I would look at a gear change. It's going to be the cheepest way out, are you 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive? I looked at gearvendor and I was looking 3500.00+ after everything was done drive it home.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, thanks for asking! They've got a handle on them now I think. We didn't have to evacuate in our area (Bear Valley Springs), only precautionary evacuation measures (meaning be ready to go). Cheers!

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 97 Superduty is DRW 2 wheel drive, with a 5 speed manual tranny and 5.13 rear end.
Have not weighed the tongue weght but estimate 1,100 # +/-. There have been a few ramps where the wheels would try to spin in granny with only idle RPMS. The other wheel would grab and so far, we have not had to have anyone pull us up any ramps.
Tried to insert a picture of the rig and trailer but obviously I don't know how.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14