Question Adding a t-case to ZF5

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am considering adding a transfer case to my 95 4X2 F-350 inorder to move my fifth wheel trailer around with out frying the clutch(3:55 gears).
Aside from the driveshaft change, what would it take to bolt up a transfer case behind the ZF5? Essentially I want to do a 4x4 conversion without adding the front diff/driveshaft.
Will the 4x4case bolt up to the ZF or do I need a different tranny?
I could buy another truck, but I like my ;tuOBS.............
ANY thoughts from those who have added the t-case?
Thanks-Joe

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on second thought!

Did a search on the oilburnersnet, seems that the tail pieces are different for the 4x4.
Thanks...........:dunno

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
visit the junk yard and pickup divorced NP 205 from a '70s F-series they will hold the power and if you get one from behind a NP235 stick then the linkages will be about right and will use the same bolt hole for pivot as the married t-cases. You will need to do a bit of fabrication for the mount but if that is within your capabilities then it is an easy option that is near bullet proof though the low gear ratio is only 2:1

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brandon, thank you---it is all food for thought. I shall look around for the 205, there are a lot of old Ford 4x4`s here. Good to know the 205 is strong enough.;tu
QUESTION-do you encounter any vibration etc... with the divorced set up at higher speeds. Reason I ask is that US Gear tech gave me a "ration" of &^&^&%&% about how a divorced aux tranny would end up out of plane -- Immediately my BS sensors went off. I had never encountered that situation with a Brownie trans in truck before , then again I am sorta olde-schoole.
Thanks again---Joe

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with vibrations in divorced mounted t-cases provided the installation is done right and the t-case mounts are not too worn.

With rollerbearing universal joints the shaft going from the rear of the t-case MUST be out of plane otherwise the u-joints will wear out hence why the rear differential is offset in our trucks. The biggest downside to a divorced t-case is that you get 2 more u-joints and a slip yoke to maintain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14