Advertisement on the radio

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Is it just me or is there a quite a bit more advertising on the radio than there use to be. It seems like there use to be several songs played then an add or two then some more songs. Anymore it seems like there is about one song every 15 minutes with nothing but adds or chit-chat the rest of the time. I sure do wish we could get that satellite radio up here.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Its almost like they (who ever the infamous "they" are) seem to be pushing us towards satellite radio, I dont want to pay for music on the road!!!!!!!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I wonder if maybe all the radio stations costs have went up just like everything else in the world but there add prices have not raised as much so they have to have more quantity??

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
It is not just radio, look at TV. I remeber a half hour show used to have about four commerials between shows, 2 in the middle, and then another 4 before the next show, now it is half commercials. What really aggrevates me is that cable was started so that you could pay for TV and not have commercials. Now you get to pay for it and you have to watch the stupid commercials. Advertising is out of control. I go to basetball games for work now and then and the advertising there is ridiculous, everything you look at is a billboard and the half time show is a McDonalds game. I do not know who is influenced by advertising. Every once in awhile a food comercial will make me want something but other than that they do not influence me at all. I really do not understand why they will put the same commercial back to back. If I see it twice does that make it work better?

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
And don't forget at the Movies too. I have not been to a movie in a quite a while(I just wait for the DVD)but the last time I was there it was over a half an hour of commercials before the movie started. I am not talking about previews either it was commercials and that was after paying like $8 just to get in. Once I paid for the wife and kids plus popcorn it cost over $50 and then I have to watch comercials...I think NOT.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Crumm said:
Is it just me or is there a quite a bit more advertising on the radio than there use to be. It seems like there use to be several songs played then an add or two then some more songs. Anymore it seems like there is about one song every 15 minutes with nothing but adds or chit-chat the rest of the time. I sure do wish we could get that satellite radio up here.
Sounds like the commercial terrestrial radio stations of today,lotta talk,lotta commercials -mad

The only locations up your way Crumm that gets an almost uninteruptible XM signal is out on the boats in open water due to there's no real obstructions to the very southern horizon of the broadcast satellites.

Have you looked at one of the music kegs or high capacity Ipods to get your music fix?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
A quote from a regular traveler in the NW Canada,Alaska area;

While traveling in Alaska in 2003, we found that coverage was spotty. It seemed that we had better reception when we were south on the Kenai Peninsula. In the town of Glenallen, where we spent a fair amount of time, we found we had a good window in the afternoon and evening. Other places it would come and go.

As an aside, we found that we had good reception in Canada as far north as central Saskatchewan and southern Yukon, however we seemed to lose it for an hour or two a day as we moved north. As we drove north on the Alaska highway, we lost quality reception north of Kluane national park.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I run from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and there is zero coverage there. Here lately I have been renting book-tapes but they are getting old. As far as radio goes,(even if there were not so many adds)it runs out about two hours into the 12 hour drive. Tell me about these music kegs or high capacity Ipods???

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I work in radio, and believe it or not, SPOT LOADS are actually DROPPING!! Thats right! You should be hearing LESS commercials lately, then in the last few years. This is in response to listener complaints of "too many commercials".

They are also trying a new "JACK" format. Inspired by the success of IPODS and 1000 song playlists set on SHUFFLE. These radio formats are supposed to play EVERYTHING and you could potentially hear a Metallica song segway right into a neil young song. Its possible! Its the "We Play EVERYTHING" format, and it will take about a year to find out if its going to work or not.

If you want to advertise, Radio is the way to go. Beats the daylights out of print media, you get a larger audience, and the rates are a LOT lower. Heck, I can get spots for as low as 5 bucks a minute during off hours. However, in the middle of a football game can get as high as 500-1000 bucks a minute, but look at your captured audience!!

Speaking of football, MOST of those commercials are forced on the radio station by the FOOTBALL TEAM! Radio PAYS for the right to broadcast the game, the football team makes money selling commercials, and the radio station makes its money by running pre and post game shows loaded with commercials. Most sports radio stations dont make money on the sport itself, but on the shows leading into and out of the event.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Crumm said:
I run from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and there is zero coverage there. Here lately I have been renting book-tapes but they are getting old. As far as radio goes,(even if there were not so many adds)it runs out about two hours into the 12 hour drive. Tell me about these music kegs or high capacity Ipods???
Sounds like the long desolate drive on I-10 from El Paso to Palm Springs(Thank goodness for Satellite Radio!) :cool:

Outside of satellite radio you can go with the Kenwood Excelon Music Keg or the Ipod I have been eye balling lately is the Apple iPod Photo :)

Either should keep anyone entertained for hours music wise :sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14