AFE stage 2 question

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you who use the AFE stage 2 kit for the '03 up 6.0, Are any of you having CEL problems? Mine is installed per the instructions to the "T". It will run perfectly fine for 200 mile or so, then I can crank it up and go 5 miles and get a CEL. Not sure what the code is. There is no drop off in performance of the truck while the CEL light is lit. I haven't been able to find anyone to read the code yet without going to the dealer. Not a good move with an aftermarket intake. I went to Autozone but their scanner wouldn't link. Is there a different scanner for diesels? My Ex has 4000 miles on it 3300 trouble free before the intake. If any of you have had this problem, can you shed some light on the problem for me? Possible fix's etc?
Thanks to all!!!

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
PSD POWER007 said:
For those of you who use the AFE stage 2 kit for the '03 up 6.0, Are any of you having CEL problems? Mine is installed per the instructions to the "T". It will run perfectly fine for 200 mile or so, then I can crank it up and go 5 miles and get a CEL. Not sure what the code is. There is no drop off in performance of the truck while the CEL light is lit. I haven't been able to find anyone to read the code yet without going to the dealer. Not a good move with an aftermarket intake. I went to Autozone but their scanner wouldn't link. Is there a different scanner for diesels? My Ex has 4000 miles on it 3300 trouble free before the intake. If any of you have had this problem, can you shed some light on the problem for me? Possible fix's etc?
Thanks to all!!!

I have the stage II on a 7.3 with no problems. The only thing I can think of is the factory sensors may be dirty. Have you tried cleaning them?

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
I have the stage II on a 7.3 with no problems. The only thing I can think of is the factory sensors may be dirty. Have you tried cleaning them?
I just bought the truck three weeks ago brand new. So hopefully the sensors are still clean. I have 4000 interstate miles on it.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
PSD POWER007 said:
I just bought the truck three weeks ago brand new. So hopefully the sensors are still clean. I have 4000 interstate miles on it.

I was only referring to the sensor that is in the factory airbox. It could have easily gotten greasy fingers on it during the install. :dunno

eddieelliott438

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
PSD POWER007 said:
Thanks to all!!!

I have the same problem with mine. Does yours have California emissions?

I contacted AFE about it 3 months ago. They knew about the problem, supposely only California trucks where doing it and it had something to do with the air velocity. The larger diameter intake was slowing the air down and screwing with the map sensor. They said they were working on the problem and would send me the fix when it was done.

Last week a new filter showed up, only difference was the inlet size. The molded a lip inside the inlet reducing the diameter. Well this did not fix the problem. Instead of the SEL staying on all the time, it go's on & off like yours.
Needless to say I will be contacting AFE again.

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
I was only referring to the sensor that is in the factory airbox. It could have easily gotten greasy fingers on it during the install. :dunno
I wasn't being a prick or anything, just letting you know how new everything is. I always wash my hands before handling these sensors.

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the truck in GA. Not sure about the Cali emissions. Sounds like we've bought a $400+ problem. Who did you speak with when you called AFE? I'll be on him/her Monday as well. They shouldn't sell the intake for a 2005 application if it has problems IMO. I expect better from a company as good as AFE.
eddieelliott438 said:
I have the same problem with mine. Does yours have California emissions?

I contacted AFE about it 3 months ago. They knew about the problem, supposely only California trucks where doing it and it had something to do with the air velocity. The larger diameter intake was slowing the air down and screwing with the map sensor. They said they were working on the problem and would send me the fix when it was done.

Last week a new filter showed up, only difference was the inlet size. The molded a lip inside the inlet reducing the diameter. Well this did not fix the problem. Instead of the SEL staying on all the time, it go's on & off like yours.
Needless to say I will be contacting AFE again.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
PSD POWER007 said:
I bought the truck in GA. Not sure about the Cali emissions. Sounds like we've bought a $400+ problem. Who did you speak with when you called AFE? I'll be on him/her Monday as well. They shouldn't sell the intake for a 2005 application if it has problems IMO. I expect better from a company as good as AFE.

I was just at a powerstroke meet today and asked an 05 owner with the stage 2 intake if he had any CEL's and he said "NO" :dunno

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
I was just at a powerstroke meet today and asked an 05 owner with the stage 2 intake if he had any CEL's and he said "NO" :dunno
Hmmm. Maybe mine will go away...
I reset the ECU and no CEL's so far. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed. You guys let me know if you come across any good info.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something is sensing an out of range value "somewhere"...
what code are you getting ? Did I miss that ?

Don't know if you want to isolate it,
but I would document the conditions when it comes on - mileage/load/speed/etc...
so you have a baseline ...
then if it is repeatable, pull the afe and see if the same conditions trigger it - if not, then it IS the AFE...

But my $.00002 ?
The stock filter does not raise Ford's concerns if a warranty problem happens, filters well, and last a LONG, LONG time, so that is my filter of choice :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14