After market wheels problems

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok heres the deal about a month ago I put new wheels and tires on the 350. They where nitto terra graplers 35/13.00 r18 and moto metal 18x9 with 4.5" back spacing. So here is the problem has any body else had a problem with puting none hubcentric wheels on there SD. I had a brand new wheel come lose and take out a front hub with it. Now the wheel dealer says no after market companys make a hubcetric wheel or ring to adapt the wheel. Has any body else had this problem.I think they sent the wrong wheels even though I checked with them twice befor ordering them. The 8x170 bolt pattern lind up pefect with acorn style lug nuts.

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hub centric wheels sit on the hub of the truck, a tightly machined setup. The inner lip of the wheel bears all the weight straight to a lip on the hub of the truck. This makes the wheels harder to get off, especially on semi's and such, but it bears the weight much better, and is dead on centered all the time. Lug centric wheels rely on the cone of the lugnuts to center the wheel, which is less accurate, and puts more strain on them.

Lugnuts for hub centric wheels are flat, lug centric wheels have a coned nut. The flat nuts with a spinning "washer" on them are even better, as there's no friction between the wheel face and the nut when torqueing them, rather the nut turns on it's built in washer.

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh gotcha. I learn something every day. Thanks for the explanation.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys running aftermarket wheels have the same problem as me. I almost never have any load on the truck. what have you guys running bigger lifts and tires done?

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have after market wheels on two of my trucks, and they are both lug centric. The only time I have had a problem with them is when the lug nuts are not torqued to spec. If that is the case, then they will over time come loose.

irish4x4

Mayor of Margaritaville
Reaction score
Lug-centric here. Is the tire shop not going to cover the cost of the damage to your rig? You bought the wheels from them/they knew what vehicle they were going on and they did the install? Hmmmmm somethins up.:censored:

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, im getting rdy to order some new wheels, they dont come out till end of may... but american racing says... if you need hub centric wheels.. u can either get centering rings that lock into back of wheel, or u need to torque to right specs with tires off ground so they dont get moved off center,

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the wheels on myself been doin that stuff for years and never had a problem (Used to work for a tire shop). Ford says the stock wheels should be 150 ftlb but I did not get specs from the wheel company just used stock as a base. Any body know whare to get the hub centric rings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14