Alternator Problem

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 Excursion is chewing up alternators ever couple of months.

They are 110 amp units. I know there are after market 140 and above alternators. My question is does anyone know where I can get one in North Jersey because my truck is down in Hamburg and I have to go after it Tuesday.

The 2 small wires on the alternator. One is 12 from the ignition. What is the other?

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
Lt /Green Red is to the dash charge Indicator
Org/ Lt Blue is fused to the +12Volt battery side, would be the battery voltage control line
The big red is your 12 Volt Charge line

PS
Bad batteries or one only can be bad on Alternators, we use to blow a lot of small alternators on our machines due to overloading caused by lighting systems. A larger unit usually solved the problem.

Last edited:

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got another alternator from the shop that installed the last one 2 months ago, Warranty.

Took that alternator up to the truck yesterday and installed it and drove home. This am I started the truck and tested the output of the alternator. There was nothing at first until I tested the voltage directly at the alternator and it jumped the output to 13.5 volts. Each time I start the truck it take 30 to 45 seconds before there is any output from the alternator. I don't think this is normal.

All the wires test good, the block ground is tight, Ford did have a problem in 03 with this bolt coming loose.

Another thing I find odd. The alternator is hot almost as soon as I start the truck.

I still have questions.

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
Mine do not go to 13.5 untill the glow plugs are done heating the engine. I can go 1/2 mile before the gauge goes beyound 13.1V and then to 14.1 and thats the Highest then I shut it down. I find on short trips I need to Idle it at the end before shutting down the engine. Your dash gauge will not show, I realise that from my ScanGaugeII that I have been using for the last year. Have you been changing alternators becaus eof that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14