Anyone use Biodiesel?

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone using Biodiesel in their PSD?

I made biodiesel in the backyard since 2003 for the 2001 VW TDI I had. She had 229,000 miles on her when I traded her for the 2009 Jetta TDI. She was drinking B100 with no problems or difference in performance. She got 45 - 48 mpg constantly.

I still have my reactor set up with plenty of oil and alcohol to make about 400 gals of biodiesel. :dunno

Last edited:

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Bio diesel

I don't personally due to it's lack of lubricity and cetane rating but a truck similar to mine that I did (3) injectors on ran on used veggie oil. It was a home made setup and looked like the previous owner tried inventing the wheel all over again. I have replaced alot of fuel injectors in my time and never seen the build up that these had on them, tips covered in carbon and the oil, fuel control surfaces were gelled and crusted with WVO. This system was prefiltered and heated but there are sure a ton of things I would think need to be done prior to running the engine for it's maximum lifespan. Something to think about???

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They screwed us older trucks when they changed to ULSD.

The same way that gassers were screwed in the 70's and 80's when unleaded gas was introduced. I had a 1974 Ford Gran Torino Elite with 351 V-8 that would get 25 mpg on the highway. That was the year before catalytic converters & unleaded fuel were added.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biodiesel NOT WVO

I don't personally due to it's lack of lubricity and cetane rating but a truck similar to mine that I did (3) injectors on ran on used veggie oil. It was a home made setup and looked like the previous owner tried inventing the wheel all over again. I have replaced alot of fuel injectors in my time and never seen the build up that these had on them, tips covered in carbon and the oil, fuel control surfaces were gelled and crusted with WVO. This system was prefiltered and heated but there are sure a ton of things I would think need to be done prior to running the engine for it's maximum lifespan. Something to think about???

IHC, Thanks for your input but was requesting information on people using Biodiesel not Waste Vegetable Oil. First of all Biodiesel has much better lubricating properties than the ULSD that we can purchase now at the pump. Second of all there is no carbon buildup from biodiesel. The homemade setup that your trucks previous owner has was a SVO (straight vegetable oil) system as you said it was heated. Sounds lie he was heating it up to get the viscosity to where it would pump like diesel fuel. Biodiesel does not have to be heated to pump nor does it have to have additional filtering. As i said I have run a TDI for a couple of hundred thousand miles on home brew with only clogged filters (crap from the dino diesel clogged it) and a temperature sensor in the fuel injection pump went bad (don't know if bio caused that or what)

binuya

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Been burnin' my brew for the past year and a half. About 1000 gallons worth. Truck loves it and so do I.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been burnin' my brew for the past year and a half. About 1000 gallons worth. Truck loves it and so do I.

Are you washing your home brew? Are you running it straight (B100) or what percentage? What PSD is your truck? I dont see your signature listed at the end of your reply. How many miles you been chugging home brew?

binuya

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Are you washing your home brew? Are you running it straight (B100) or what percentage? What PSD is your truck? I dont see your signature listed at the end of your reply. How many miles you been chugging home brew?

I water wash. I make 45 gal batches and use 50-60 gal of water per batch. I run B100 whenever it's above 40F.
When it dipped into the upper teens a couple weeks ago I cut my tank with pump diesel to about B50. I'll run B60-B70 most of the winter. Pretty mild most of the time here in Seattle. I have a 2001 CC SB Lariat 4x4. These 7.3's seem to really like the bio. I have run over 12k miles on my own brew. Prior to making my own, I had been buying bio from a local fueling station, so there's probably another 5k miles or so on B90. I was one of the lucky ones who never experienced the filter clogging that much has been said about when first running biodiesel. I suppose it has more to do with the starting condition of the fuel tank to begin with.

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would run biodiesel more if I could get it. I have considered making my own setup but I work off and when I am home it seems like I run and run until it is time to leave again. The few times I have been able to obtain biodiesel my truck has run smoother and got better gas mileage than any other time.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Not "gas mileage" but "fuel Mileage". Don't ever use "Gas" when referring to any thing Diesel, unless you are cleaning parts. The gas pedal is the throttle.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim