Auto hubs

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long does it take for the auto hubs to engage? Mine seem to take forever and usually I take the truck out of 4x4 before they engage. I had the hubs locked manually all winter but now that the main roads are clear due to seasonably warm weather here in Alaska I unlocked them to save gas.

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should engage almost immediately when the truck is shifted into 4wd.

You might check the vacuum lines going to the hubs, the solenoid that actually puts vacuum on them (front passenger inner fender) or the hub seals.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just made an appointment to take the truck in on Monday to be looked at. I didn't see any problems with the vacuum lines so I'm thinking it's a more in-depth problem.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
They should engage almost immediately when the truck is shifted into 4wd.

You might check the vacuum lines going to the hubs, the solenoid that actually puts vacuum on them (front passenger inner fender) or the hub seals.

perhaps them being locked in for a long period of time may be holding it together....:dunno

my solenoid did go out and it was a $~25 repair.... my seals went out too...:eek:

so far, no issues w/ the lines...:sweet

good luck let us know

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the truck to the dealer and found out my right hub seal wasn't holding vacuum so it wasn't engaging. And as we all know when one hub engages and the other doesn't all the power goes to the unlocked wheel due to less resistance so my front axle did nothing in 4x4.

They also found my EGR cooler is leaking. Everything is being repaired under warranty.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Took the truck to the dealer and found out my right hub seal wasn't holding vacuum so it wasn't engaging. And as we all know when one hub engages and the other doesn't all the power goes to the unlocked wheel due to less resistance so my front axle did nothing in 4x4.

They also found my EGR cooler is leaking. Everything is being repaired under warranty.
Great that you're still under warranty! Usually the cooler goes because of excess heat; either from plugged up oil cooler, head gaskets starting to weep, or running a hot tune or program, or a combination of these. It's considered a good practice to change oil cooler when changing the egr cooler. I've learned all of this the hard way.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score

great news...........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14