Boost Question

Smithereen

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This is the first powerstroke I have owned. When I have the rpm`s below 1800 rpm, it is very slugish. If I shift down to 5th gear you can hear the turbo a bit and it is better. To get the turbo to spool up quick, do you have to have these engines above 2000 rpm? :dunno or do I have a problem. I haven`t installed a boost guage yet, but very soon. thanks

JRJ04

Reaction score
You definitely need to get a boost gauge to get a good idea of where your numbers are at. A stock truck might make 20lbs of boost if you just hold it to it really hard. How fast are you going in 6th gear? You could be going to slow and kind of lagging the motor. I would not think that you should be in 6th gear until you are over 50mph if you are trying to gain speed still.

On a stock truck, you definitely have to get it revvved up a bit to get some boost. I would say that its fair to say that you wont really hear the turbo until around 2k rpm's. You might have to get up to the better part of 2500 rpm's to really see some numbers. Get the gauge and then go from there. Good luck!:sweet

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want power you need to spin the engine up higher and shift around 2800-3000 rpm if you are looking for economy then bring the shift points down accellerate slower.

I have to learn again every time I drive my brothers truck.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been experiencing the same problem with my auto. It seems it has to be about 1800 for me.

JMF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You can hear the turbo and really start feeling it pull starting at 1600-1700 on my '99. I rarely take it over 2500-2600 before shifting gears.... simply because it will handle the next higher gear with no problems.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
These V-8 diesels like to spin fast. If towing keep your RPMs up in order to keep your boost up and EGT's down.

Smithereen

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well put in the guages and the best I can get is 10 lbs boost @ 2500 rpm. I checked to make sure the air to air piping had no leaks. Replaced the back pressure sensor.( it was toast)I think the MAP sensor is reading properly.( I have a code reader that I can monitor some parameters)Anyone have any other suggestions? :dunno Could the turbo be the problem? The wastegate?:dizzy

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the best way to look for leaks is with a boost leak detector like this one..or you can build one
Intake Pressure Tester

is the turbo wheel clean or have any play ?? how about the up pipes behind the turbo?? are the donuts gone? do you see any soot around them??

Last edited:

Smithereen

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I used a home made tester at work. There was no leaks. I will have to check and see if there is any end play in the turbo. With the turbo wheel, do you mean does it have any nicks in the fins? I did notice a little soot at one of the up pipes into the back of the turbo when I was under the truck looking around but thought it was not to bad and would keep an eye on it. Is it common for the donuts to burn out?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14