Brake line ?

surreyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey every one , I have a 97 f250 ext cab long box 4x4 & my rear (hard) break line blew right on the boat launch (thank god for the e-brake lol !) so my question is & it's probably a dumd one because it's probably just what I'm calling it , but what is the rear brake line called ? It has a conection just under the rear of the cab inside the drivers side frame rail & goes right to the rear of the truck just above the rear axle on the drivers side where it conects to a rubber hose ?? Does any one know a part number for both the hard line & the hose ? Thanx alot for any & all help

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will be much better off by going to your local Ford Dealership and asking the Parts people this. Or you can go to your local auto parts store.

Dave

atk

Reaction score
Hey every one , I have a 97 f250 ext cab long box 4x4 & my rear (hard) break line blew right on the boat launch (thank god for the e-brake lol !) so my question is & it's probably a dumd one because it's probably just what I'm calling it , but what is the rear brake line called ? It has a conection just under the rear of the cab inside the drivers side frame rail & goes right to the rear of the truck just above the rear axle on the drivers side where it conects to a rubber hose ?? Does any one know a part number for both the hard line & the hose ? Thanx alot for any & all help

you can get premade steel lines(different lengths) at any parts store, but only problem they may have different fittings then what your truck has, or just by the proper size steal line(which should be 3/16) and reuse your ends(but you will have to reflare the end of the brake line with a flaring tool)...as for the rubber line, it is called the rear brake flex line....hope this helps

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
the flex line is actually called the drop hose, but that's immaterial..

as far as the steel line goes, you can buy spools of steel line and reuse your old fittings (cut the line with a hack saw or similar) and you'll need a flaring kit that you can buy (Harbor Freight, tool truck, NAPA or Sears) or rent from AutoZone or O'Reilley's

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely is that you will not be able to order the steel line pre-bent you'll have to buy it it a straight section and often if you can get the right length they will/may have the correct fittings you just need to know what you have. Depending on the radius of the bend you will also need a tubing bender.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
And a Double Flare tool. You can't use a single flare tool as it will not hold the flare.

Dave

surreyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok , thanx to every one , i bought the strait lengths & decided to replace all lines from the coupling just under the cab back . however , i did encounter a problem , everything fit like it was made to except the 2 steel lines coming from the rear drums that connect to the small 1 into 2 block that is held on to the axle by the diff vent . the lines are 9/16 but on the new lines the treads are 3/8 wrench size & the old ones are 7/16 wrench , meaning the threaded holes on the drums are bigger than the thread holes on the small block ? can a guy buy 9/16 line with 1 size on one end & the other on the other end ? the smaller threads fit the existing coupling under the cab & fit the new flex hose ? or do i have to get a different flex hose with the smaller threads on the top & the bigger threads on the "tee" ? thanx again for all the help

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14