Brakes Gone

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my way home tonight my brakes just went out. Brake light came on and absolutly no brake booster power what so ever.

About 15 mile earlier I had hear a loud pop...kinda like a rock comming up off the road somewhere near my engine compartment...I looked back in the mirror and saw nothing. I figure this is just a coincedence but just thougth I would throw it out there.

Any idea on what the problem may be? I checked all of the vacume lines and they seem fine. Nothing blew off, there is no brake fluid anywhere near the booster or any of the brakes. It still stops but is very very very did I mention very hard to stop without the booster.

Fluid level is fine as well. I turned the truck off and back on and still nothing. Engine is running fine and no other lights.

Could it be the vacume pump? I hope not as if they are anything like those on my Mercedes they are outrageously expensive.

Thank you.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Serpentine belt wouold be my first guess, the pop noise sounds like the belt giving way, then you ran till the vacumn in the system was depleted before the light can on and the assist was gone. Could still be the pump as well, but it definately sounds like you have no vacumn assist. good luck

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Belt is still good as wel.

I'm not sure where else in the system the vacume can go bad. It appears there is a block where there are about 4 hoses before it goes up into the booster.

I'm guessing I could just pull the line on one side of the pump and see if there is a vaccume? If not I guess there is my answer.

Geeze a fuel pump last month, and a vaccume pump this month and a water pump last year. How many other pumps are on this thing :rant

As long as I don't lose the oil pump...it is going to be a very bad day if that is the case.

Guess I can't complain to much. Besides the CPS and the water pump and fuel pump these are the only real problems I have ever had with it and we just hit 215K miles.

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
vac pump. do yourself a favor and get the OEM pump, not one from napa or you will be doing it again.

the pulley presses on like a power steering pump pulley. the special puller/installer kit isnt much money, and is available from all tool manufacturers. there is one bolt that needs to go in the hole before you press the pulley on, you will know better what i am talking about when you are doing the job.

i lost my first pump around 100k miles. i had a horse trailer with 2 horses, 600 miles from home. i replaced it with the cheaper Napa part. a year later i was replacing it again, with a ford part. now im at 218k with no issues.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vac pump. do yourself a favor and get the OEM pump, not one from napa or you will be doing it again.

the pulley presses on like a power steering pump pulley. the special puller/installer kit isnt much money, and is available from all tool manufacturers. there is one bolt that needs to go in the hole before you press the pulley on, you will know better what i am talking about when you are doing the job.

i lost my first pump around 100k miles. i had a horse trailer with 2 horses, 600 miles from home. i replaced it with the cheaper Napa part. a year later i was replacing it again, with a ford part. now im at 218k with no issues.

Yes I will never order anything from NAPA ever again. I've had two water pumps from them. First on my Toyota and it went out after 200 miles. Then this one I bought from them has a wobble in the shaft after 1000 miles. The replacement window motor I bought from them lasted about 10 rolls up and down. I would like to say that is all I ever bought from them but the only other thing I can think of is a farm all jack and it didn't even work. Got out to use it and noticed it was engineered to where it would never lift anything. Went back to the store and the others on the shelf were the same way.....Alllll CRAP.

I've had extrememly good luck with Adavanced Auto Parts though.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Do you have a picture of that tool or what it is called exactly. I do have a couple pulley jaws if that is all it is.

OTC 7922 Vacuum Pump Pulley Remover Jaws for OTC7185 This is what I found but it looks like there should be another part to this tool? I bought the wrench to do my Water Pump but that was 20 bucks....this is more than half what the vaccume pump costs.

Edit..I just went out and there is no vacumme. Well at least not from the hose that goes to the booster..I have yet to pull it off the pump...just realized the whole pulley is starting to come off. Only 2/3 of the belt is touching the actual pully now.

If these are so hard to get off I can't believe this one is comming out on its own but it is.

Last edited:

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with Advance, but AutoZone will loan you "Tool 648605" for free (if they have it ... they did when I needed it). No need to spend $58 for just the jaws (you'll need the rest, OTC 7185, as well).

Cheers!

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you,

The advanced I was at didn't have it but I will check around. The stores on my side of town don't every have any of the tools...but on the city side they have 3-4 stores and an o'riellys is opening up so I might just get lucky.

Thank you.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that loud sound under my hood was in fact part of the vaccume pump. I took it off and rear plug that I presume holds the oil in for the cam in the pump popped off. Then 10 miles later the pump itself went out hence losing my brakes suddenly.

Is this how other people lost their pumps? The new one I have appears to have a bolt on the back of the plug to help keep it in. Was the stock one just pressed in like a freeze plug? I can't see how that bolt would have just decided to come undone 215K miles later.

Anyway no luck finding the tool. I think I'll just take it into ford and have them swap the pulleys out for me and then I'll come back and install the part. If it wasn't for that darn pulley it would be a 20 minute job.

I'll take some pictures when the wife gets back with the camera.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to the Auto skills shop on post and used their pully remover. Took me just a couple minutes and to easy. To bad their tool to put it back on was messed up. So I'm going to go to Autozone and see if theirs will work on putting it back on.

Why can't they just sell these pumnps with the pulleys on them?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14