cat and muffler delete?

cj036.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I already have the cat off my 2003 6.0. I have a 4" magnaflow turbo back system. I want to delete the muffler but I'm afriad it will cause engine or turbo damage. Will it produce too much back pressure in the engine or not enough back pressure to get the exhaust out ? I don't know to much about diesel engines I'm trying to learn. Will this mod hurt my truck ? Will it cause the turbo to over spin ? I need help and input. Please help I want to do this I,ve heard other trucks with no muffler, AWSOME sound but I've heard horror stories about how it can hurt your truck.
:thanks

jimmypage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just removed my muffler 2 days ago it sounds awsome i wil never put it back on:D i dont think there are any issues with out it

www.truckpulls.com

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
You can remove the muffler and you will be fine. The turbo is a federally legal sound absorbing device, so you are even still legal. Our 05 6.0 has no muffler or cat...aside from the one day a year we put the cat on for inspection.

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
muffler delete

I feel sorry for you guys that are under the federal microscope. Out here in Egypt, they don't require it yet. All my family and some of our Co. rigs are licensed here. They really get after my big rigs. They think if you have a truck you have money. WRONG, it's had money!!

DiscountPowerParts

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
Larry I got our 05 6.0L inspected today and they said "NICE CAT" that will be 34 dollars.

www.truckpulls.com

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
You do not need a muffler on a diesel for inspection...period. The turbo is a federally recognized sound absorbing devise. If you read the laws, it says something like "Must be equiped with a passive sound absorbing component or a mechanical sound absorbing component, ei: Turbo Charger"

I know my exact words are not correct, as I am going from memory, but that is basicly what is stated. If you dont have a turbo, you MUST have a muffler, .........if you do have a turbo...the muffler is optional.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
cj036.0 said:
I already have the cat off my 2003 6.0. I have a 4" magnaflow turbo back system. I want to delete the muffler but I'm afriad it will cause engine or turbo damage. Will it produce too much back pressure in the engine or not enough back pressure to get the exhaust out ? I don't know to much about diesel engines I'm trying to learn. Will this mod hurt my truck ? Will it cause the turbo to over spin ? I need help and input. Please help I want to do this I,ve heard other trucks with no muffler, AWSOME sound but I've heard horror stories about how it can hurt your truck.
:thanks
How about taking the muffler off and putting the CAT back on??? :sweet

Crap, there I go again... Friggin old maid nanny-goat...

They really are there for a reason...

Sorry I can't help myself....

They really do serve a purpose...

can't... resist... urge... to NAG!

They don't adversly effect performance, in fact, the info I've seen actually shows an increase in low-end torque, which it sounds to me like the 6-oh could really use, anyway...

power to resist.... FADING

I think we can all agree that hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide are a bad thing, and that not having them in our truck exhaust is therefore a GOOD thing...

ARRRRRRRRRGGHHHH!!!!

I have defeated my evil side, and now, all that remains is ME, the ANTI-CAT REMOVAL CAPTAIN PLANET WANNA-BE GUY!!!!! BEWARE MY WRATH, AS I FEED OFF OF THE BLOOD OF POLLUTERS EVERYWHERE... (Cue evil laughter).... Sounds something like BROOO-HA HA HA HA! (Picturing pinky finger at corner of lower lip...)

Seriously, though, it seems like so many of you guys almost instantly want to pull the cat off your trucks the second you get them. I am sort of wondering why the rush?

I will have to look up these dyno runs I saw the other dayand post them on your 6-oh forum, but they honestly showed a VERY small increase in peak horsepower (and pretty much only at peak, at that) but that was offset by a pretty decent DECREASE in low-end torque, which is what is important to me.

Additionally, it occurs to me that it isn't really all that fair to the rest of us trying to do our part when you guys shuck your pollution controls and pretty much negate any benefits we create.

You wanna B&C about the new EPA regs coming out in 2007 because of the reduced efficiency, increased cost and maintenance, etc? Fine, then realize that the EPA put the rules in place before to fix a problem. You guys pulling your CATS off didn't do anything to help, because when pollution levels didn't go down enough, in part because of you all, they added more restrictions, to compensate. Want the EPA to leave you alone? RUN YOUR GD EMISSIONS CONTROLS SO THE PROBLEM IS FIXED AND THEY GO AWAY!!!

Kind of like the guy that didn't vote B&C'ing about who the president is. Yeah, I know his vote wouldn't have made THE difference, but when you add HIS vote to all the votes of everybody else that didn't vote, there is a BIG difference, just like when you add up all the removed cats on 6-liters on this forum and others.

Okay, I'm done now. Love lots....

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.truckpulls.com said:
You can remove the muffler and you will be fine. The turbo is a federally legal sound absorbing device, so you are even still legal. Our 05 6.0 has no muffler or cat...aside from the one day a year we put the cat on for inspection.

you have emissions inspections for diesels? heck even the republic of kalifornia does not have them yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14