charging problem please help!

superdub01

SDD USMC/Wyotech
Reaction score
im traveling from st louis to north carolina and my alternator took a dump on me. pulled over and changed it. an hour later the second one did same thing. the alternators test fine at the store. pulled both new batteries and charged them both times we changed the alternator. iv disconnected my stereo leads just in case something is funny with those. it is a 2001 single alternator set up. the alternator is onternally regulated. my guestion is what else do i check in the truck that could be killing the alternators? thanks a lot.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im traveling from st louis to north carolina and my alternator took a dump on me. pulled over and changed it. an hour later the second one did same thing. the alternators test fine at the store. pulled both new batteries and charged them both times we changed the alternator. iv disconnected my stereo leads just in case something is funny with those. it is a 2001 single alternator set up. the alternator is onternally regulated. my guestion is what else do i check in the truck that could be killing the alternators? thanks a lot.

Did the Battery's discharge when the Alternators dumped ? If they did.. cuz yer On The Road.. I'd start disconnecting 12v things you've added....

Also.. Check the main connector/plug, to the Alternator.. for being discolored and possibly arcing.

With 2 Good Battery's, the truck should run for Hours.. IMO..You've got a Dead Short somewhere. Owner add-ons are often a Gremlin.

Joe

Did you Load Test the Battery's ? If Not.. have them tested.. you could have a BAD battery.. that will pull the other one down too, and possibly FRY the alternator(s).

Last edited:

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you state both alt test fine so the charge circuit is compromised IMHO

superdub01

SDD USMC/Wyotech
Reaction score
thanks guys. i have had them load tested. good batteries. some idiot owned the truck before me and did a hack job of putting in a remote start so im going to pull that in the morning.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Check all your battery connections that they are clean and tight. Also check your ground cables are tight and free of oil/grease.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58