Clicking 7.3

Buds007

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Good morning to all. I'm new to the superduty arena, but just got into an '02 250 with the 7.3. Everything so far seems to be working fine with it, aside from a very loud clicking accompanied by any application of throttle. If I lift off the gas and cruise, the clicking stops completely. But otherwise, the loudness of the clicking is dependent upon how much gas i'm putting on. Any ideas or clues as to what it may be, and if it is a normal thing, how to quiet it down a bit. Thanks for your time.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
1. Welcome to SDD.com!
2. Tell us if your truck is equipped with an automatic transmission
3. fill out your signaure line with the truck's details & equipment

Last edited:

Buds007

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yes it is an automatic. And i'll get on the signature as well.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How loud are we talkin, loud enough to were you can't hear your self think or just enough to hear it and but that is all.

Buds007

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Loud to where people notice, and I have to turn the music up a pretty good click if I don't want to hear it when I get on the throttle, but not loud enough to really scare the crap out of me. Just an odd harmonic clicking that doesn't increase in frequency, only in volume.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cracked exhaust manifold?:dunno

That is what I was thinking about. It is along the same line and does make a ticking sound when you are hard on the throttle and on noice when you are off it.

Have you done the hose test to see if you are leaking air anywere? So some other options.

Buds007

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the hose test is, so no, i haven't done that. I would say it's probably not a cracked exhaust manifold just because I have heard the sound that makes. It could be a weird crack though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14