cold start problem

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
This morning I had to use the 87 Turbo diesel to boost the 2005 Ford, that refused to start, I have 15 / 40 Rotella T in it, because I planned to spend the winter in florida. The truck would start but as I released the key of the start mode it would not keep running. I had to try 4 times before it started. It is very funny to see the $200.00 diesel VW used to charge the batteries and boost the $25000 Super Duty. The VW started right off this morning with 15/40 Oil in it to. It was 5 Deg F outside. This same thing happened to me 2 days ago but the batteries allowed it to start on its own. It seam that the oil is to tick and does not fire the injectors. What will it be if the temperature was much lower. What weight of oil does Ford put in it, is it 5/30 or 10/30. I always use 15/40 in the winter in all my diesels for the past 15 years. Found the 5/50 synthetic would make my VW hard to start because the compression would not build up fast enough. With 5/50 I had to plug them in while with 15/40 they start right off at any temperature. GM was the same for me I never plug them in ever.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could "thin" that oil by plugging in the block heater ya know...

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerstrokes can be very tempermantal about starting in the cold. plug her up and see what happens then. ive heard change the oil your using for bad winters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14