Column Problems

McDizzle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 F-350 and the linkage in the column is messed up:dizzy You turn the key forward and everything engages fine and then when the key is reversed to the off the position it nothing come back with it. you can go to the back of the column with a screw driver and pop it back to the off or run position.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to see if I can figure out from some diagrams, but if my memory serves me right you may have a broken rod because I believe that the connection at the lock cylinder is positive so you cannot just start the truck with a pair of pliers by moving the rod down from the lock cylinder. It has been almost 10 years since I was tearing down the column of one of these truck but I want to say that the return spring is actually located in the electronic ignition switch which is mounted down on the bottom of the steering column. If someone has over tightened the bolts then it will bind the rod otherwise it sounds like you need to lubricate the shaft with some graphite down toward the ignition switch

milspark1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When my '96 250 did that, sort of, it was because the switch underneath the colum was loose. Sometimes it would shut off, other time I had to smack it a little. Once it was tightened back up and readjusted, it worke again. If in your case, it doesn't return at all, I would remove the lock cylinder and double check the shaft and pin alignment as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14