Completely died while driving

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today while driving about 35MPH (approx 3 minutes after starting up the truck) and the truck turned off completely. Engine stopped peacefully and all electronics and blowers lights etc off. I coasted into a parking lot and put it back in park and then when I turned the key all dash lights blowers including the switch for the glow plugs came back on. I then tried to start it and all it did was crank over and over. As though there was absolutely no fuel getting to it.

I got out to inspect and noticed a small amount of coolant (very small) on one of the rad hoses. It dripped 5-10 times on the ground then stopped. (Again no over heat (gauges hadn't even warmed yet as I had barely gone) I think it may just be coincidence that the water pump may be giving out at the same time now *when it rains it pours* (no leaks as of yesterday...I was under there and driving around and I inspect it when I get out). It dripped again after turning the starter over.

Either way I'm guessing the UVC harness or IDM. Not really sure. For the past few months every once in awhile (once a month) the truck would hesitate from a dead stop almost die and then rev back to life.

For now it is sitting in that parking lot behind the barracks on base so I'm not in a big hurry to get it but need to get it home to diagnose. Just wondering if it is something I should take into the shop (really don't want to) or tackle myself....limited freinds and resources in the area.

It just so happened I had my alt car in pieces installing my WVO kit and had to spend until 11 tonight getting that finished (still can't get that darn DPDT switch to work correctly) But anyway I have transpo so hopefully you all can help me figure this out.

I don't seem to be able to access this site from work *they block it* :( (I know the only forum they block as I can get on a few others) But I'll be back in the evening and hope to work on the truck on the 4th. I have a 3 day so I can waste that as well fixing this pig.

Ohh this may be a side note and hopefully PLEASE don't tell me I need injection pump work but I used to be able to shut off my truck on WVO for 45 minutes on a hot day no problem and it would start up just fine. Yesterday on a trip into town I went into Autozone for 5 minutes and when I came back out it and started it, it sounded like it was only running on half the cylinders or more like it was on just 1 bank of the engine as it would throw real hard to one side but I would give it a bit of fuel and it would be just fine. No hard starts on regular diesel. Would run just fine after that as usual...no stutter and good power. I know this opens a can of worms so I wanted to leave it out but I think that this may hopefully be another symptom of the UVC possibly going out.

I actually have no idea but it sounded like a good culprit.

Thanks guys. I will try and see if the automotive shop on post has a code reader.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if you've checked it, but there is a fuse for the IDM (I think it's #9).
it may be toast, that'd cause the no-start.

Codes is always good place to start...

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well went back today to check on it.

#1: It is not the number 9 fuse. It was good.

#2: I was slightly wrong in my description of the water pump. It is really hard to see in their and the best angle was the one that put antifreeze all over my face but it was dripping at a rate of about 1 drop per second or even faster.

Still will not start. What is the possiblitly this water pump has anything to do with it. Again It appeared to be leaking about dead center and on the bottom of the Water pump.

I have no idea why a water pump would completely make the truck stop though unless it is really smart and I dont' know it.

Any more ideas?

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to check #22 FUSE and your tack for movement while cranking for a bad CPS.Check your fuel pressure while someone is cranking at the schrader vale to make sure you have some pressure.It should start with as little as 10#.If you have the chip in yet you may take it out to see if it starts.Good luck

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some problems with my truck and it would stop running and die on me. Luckily mine would start back up. It would even cut out while driving down the road and then it would start running fine again. It ended up being a malfinctioning CPS.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok,

So I will go back and check all the fuses while I'm at it. I was in a bit of a hurry today or I would have at lunch.

Is there a link on how to test the fuel pressure. I think I may need to have it towed home before I start doing some of that.

I do have a chip in their that I put in a couple of years Ago. It never did a darn thing as far as performance as it ended up being for another comp number. But I will take that out, check the fuses in the parking lot and if I have no luck I guess it is time to get it home and go to town.

Again no mention is it just a kowinkedink that the water pump failed at the same time??? Or is it possibly not the water pump. I thought the weep hole only seeped when it was turning???

Thank you guys.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The water pump has nothing to do with your truck not starting. I will bet you have a bad CPS (Cam Position Sensor) and they are around $20 at Ford. Get two and carry one in the glove box as a spare.

Dave

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope every time my truck breaks down in the future it is becuase of that Cam poistion sensor. It was really greasy and a bit tight up in there but I got it out and put the new one in (27 bucks).

I wished on my lucky stars and cranked. It started right up. Another Great diagnosis from the forum. (I'm glad it didn't go out when I was on WVO or I would have been screwed)

Second time you have helped me. Last time I was on a trip across the country and you helped me find luke in KS who helped me get my starter at a nearby parts store and put it in.

Now I have to go buy a water pump though. I think the water pump "may" have had something to do with it though. I'm thinking maybe the fan blew the dripping coolant from the weep hole back into the connector. I may never know. All I know is I need to get a ride back to my truck tomorrow so I can drive it home and get that water pump in.

Time to go search for a thread on replacement of water pump :rolleyes:

Again thank you all of you are BAD***** :thumbs

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write up. Now we will see if I can smash that 3-4 hour time frame. I'm guessing it will take me aroun 8 :). I'm a very slow mech.

Jason

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14