Compressor wheel ID.

JRJ04

Reaction score
ok so then im guessing that when you do it with the turbo ON the truck, the reason you remove the downpipe is to stick a screwdriver in there so that you can catch one of the veins of the exhaust wheel to loosen the intake side up. is that correct?

JRJ04

Reaction score
and how would you do that? I thought you had to have some way to keep the entire shaft from spinning. Do you still have to split the turbo in half like the wiki article says?

Last edited:

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you still have to split the turbo. All you have to do is bump the wheel with the with the impact while your in reverse and it will come right off.

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to highjack.... just wanting a little more info. I've been told that the early 99's had a "factory equivelent" to a WW... then all was changed due to turbo whistle. Is this accurate? Will the fins be unequal length as mentioned above. My truck also is missing the insulation off the IC pipe.... pretty sure it never had it, as I'm the 2nd owner, and bought it from a buddy, so I've been around it since it had 35 miles on it. Thanks.

yes the WW,banks wheel ,performance wheel or what ever else these people call it is indeed a early 99 stock wheel...these are the only 2 wheels made for the stock turbo...the sellers just give it there own name...

Last edited:

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and how would you do that? I thought you had to have some way to keep the entire shaft from spinning. Do you still have to split the turbo in half like the wiki article says?

this can be done with turbo on the truck..pull the compressor housing and remove the down pipe..put a screw driver in the exhaust side to hold the wheel..take the nut off the compressor wheel and pull it off..stick on a new wheel and snug the nut down good..do not tighten..just make it nice and snug....the spinning of the wheel under boost will tighten it for you...look for your self..

http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Tech/Superior Wheel Installation Guide.pdf

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a DIY on how to install a 99 wheel.. on the engine, without removing the turbo.

I've done a bunch of'm.. piece'a cake.

>BUT<, instead of stick'n a screw driver in.. to hold the shaft from the exhaust side.. a piece of hard wood is my choice.

Joe

Just did one today.

JRJ04

Reaction score
this can be done with turbo on the truck..pull the compressor housing and remove the down pipe..put a screw driver in the exhaust side to hold the wheel..take the nut off the compressor wheel and pull it off..stick on a new wheel and snug the nut down good..do not tighten..just make it nice and snug....the spinning of the wheel under boost will tighten it for you...look for your self..

http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Tech/Superior Wheel Installation Guide.pdf

WOWOWOWOW!!! These are the exact pics I've been wanting! With the combination of those and Joe's writeup, this is will be a piece of cake!

Joe, are you using a piece of dowel rod or what?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use an old Hickory hammer handle..:D:sly

Whatever You use, it only needs to be softer than the steel exhaust wheel. The commpressor wheel is only on there with 10 inch pound of torque.... so it don't take much.. to break it loose... Or put the W/wheel on.

Joe

Pay attention to the "use a rag" part.. The stock wheel AND the W/wheel leading edges are RAZOR sharp.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14