cool down idle time

acende

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm new to diesels but I think that it's a good idea to let your psd cool down after its ran for 2 or more hours especially if your towing. But am I wrong in thinking this is necessary I let her idle for at least 15 minutes before shutting her down is this enough time or too much? Also does this site has a search so I can research before I ask dumb questions ?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
there are mixed opinions on cool down time. When I bought my 97 the dealer told me it was not necessary. Others disagree. The easiest way is to add a pyrometer and shut down as close to 300* as possible. 15 minutes is way more than you need. I have never had to wait more than 3 or 4 but then I have a 5 speed that cools down dramatically when I downshift to slow down.

There is a search on a narrow bar of tool options about 1/8th down from the top of the page. It takes getting used to. Put a "+" in front of any word you require in your results otherwise the search treats it as an optional word.

Welcome to the site. Stick around awhile.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
acende welcome...

I try to give mine 30-60sec of cool down...if i waited til 300 degrees
id be idling forever...i try not to shut down above 400.

suggestion: fill out your profile so we know what your driving, where you
live etc.

acende

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I tried to add to my signature we'll see if it shows up. Where are some places to shop for a pyro gauge ? Are there quality issues and what does a good one retail for ?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
expect about 150 - ish for a pyro. There is a list of site sponsors at the top of the forum list. Several of them offer gauge packages for good deals. No real quality issues I have ever heard of. I have the autometer phantom. Autometer customer service is the pits but if you choose a good vendor you can deal with them if necessary. Guages become more a matter of preference in appearance more than anything else.

my sig line has a link on the gauges part to the vendor where I bought mine.

6L PWR

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My Edge Juice Platinum has an EGT shut down. It runs until it hits 400 degrees. The longest I've heard it run is 2 min 10 secs. That was after it's third 1/4 mile run of the night. When I drag her I disable all backdowns so she gets hot. That third run I saw her peak around 1600 degrees. That would explain the long cool down. Usually after driving around town even on high she runs about 20-25 secs before she gets down to 400.

F350CCFX4

Smokin Bye
Reaction score
I have a Autometer for $110 shipped to your door if you are within the 48 states. Comes with everything needed to install never used in original packaging.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14